Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Singaporean creditors to block MFone sale

Singaporean creditors to block MFone sale

Singaporean creditors to block MFone sale

121130_05

Women sit near a mobile-phone shop branded with MFone signage in Phnom Penh, Thursday, Nov. 29, 2012. Photograph: Heng Chivoan/Phnom Penh Post

Singaporean creditors will file injunction requests with the Thai embassy in Cambodia and the Thai Ministry of Commerce today to prevent Cambodia-based MFone transferring any assets until it repays a $3.7 million debt, lawyers said yesterday.

MFone owed the Singapore-based technology equipment supplier Eltek Valere a total of $3,733,989 from an unpaid 2008 GSM network supply contract, lawyers for Eltek told the Post yesterday.

“I am going to submit official letters to the Thai royal embassy and the Thai Ministry of Commerce this week,” Kouy Thunna, an Eltek representative and lawyer, said.

“The main purpose of my letters was to ask the Thai embassy and Thai Ministry of Commerce to implement the Cambodian court’s  decision, dated October 18, 2012, and prohibit MFone, which owes over $3 million, from being sold to other companies.”

According to court documents obtained by the Post yesterday, on October 18 the Phnom Penh Municipal Court handed down an injunction freezing MFone’s assets.

“I am asking the Thais to help prohibit MFone from selling its banned properties... until this case is solved by the court,” Thunna said.

The Post reported earlier this month that MFone was selling all its shares to an obscure Thai company called INT.

MFone chief executive Dr Yap Wai Khee could not be reached yesterday.  

Yap Wai told Eltek in a September 5, 2011 letter obtained by the Post yesterday, that: “Currently our shareholders are working on the debt restructuring with the bank. The negotiations and discussions are still going on, which we expect will reach conclusion shortly.

“After completing the restructuring plan, the shareholders will inject capital into Mfone to settle our debt due to you.”

To contact the reporter on this story: Buth Reaksmey Kongkea at [email protected]

MOST VIEWED

  • Angkor Wat named as the top landmark for the second year

    Travel website TripAdvisor has named Cambodia’s ancient wonder Angkor Wat as the top landmark in the world for the second year running in their Travelers’ Choice Award 2018, an achievement Cambodian tourism operators expect will attract more tourists to the Kingdom. The website uses traveller

  • New US bill ‘is a violation of Cambodian independence’

    After a US congressmen introduced bipartisan legislation that will enact sanctions on Cambodian officials responsible for “undermining democracy” in the Kingdom, government officials and the ruling Cambodian People’s Party on Sunday said they regarded the potential action as the “violation of independence and sovereignty

  • Hun Sen detractors ‘will die’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday said those who curse or insult him would eventually die without a plot of land to bury their bodies after being killed by lightning, suffering the same fate as those who recently died in Thmar Baing district in Koh

  • Ministry’s plan for net sparks fears

    The government has ordered all domestic and international internet traffic in the Kingdom to pass through a Data Management Centre (DMC) that has been newly created by the state-owned Telecom Cambodia, in a move some have claimed is an attempt to censor government critics. Spokesman