Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Six arrested for clearing Ratanikkiri forest



Six arrested for clearing Ratanikkiri forest

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Five Chinese nationals and a Cambodian man pose for a photo after they were arrested for illegally clearing protected forest land yesterday in Ratanikkiri province. Photo supplied

Six arrested for clearing Ratanikkiri forest

Five Chinese nationals and a Cambodian man were charged on Saturday at the Ratanakkiri Provincial Court for illegally clearing protected forest land in an area known to have gold deposits, a court official and a police officer said yesterday.

Hak Hean, spokesman for the Ratanakkiri provincial prosecutor, said the six men, whom he did not identify, were charged under articles 56 and 62 of the Protected Areas Law “for clearing and bulldozing forest land to occupy”.

Theng Chanthy, the Lumphat district police chief, said that his officers had worked closely with environmental officials to arrest the suspects during a raid on Friday while the six men were bulldozing inside the Lumphat Wildlife Sanctuary.

A vehicle and an excavator were confiscated, Chanthy said, and the suspects were held at the district police station before being sent to court on Saturday morning.

Chanthy added that the suspects had already cleared about one hectare of protected land in Chey Uddom commune.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Businesses in capital told to get travel permit amid lockdown through One Window Service

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Administration has issued guidelines on how to get travel permission for priority groups during the lockdown of Phnom Penh, directing private institutions to apply through the municipality's One Window Service and limit their staff to a mere two per cent. In

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting