Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Six hauled in over murder allegation

Six hauled in over murder allegation

Six hauled in over murder allegation

Six men were arrested and interviewed over the fatal shooting and beating of a 24-year-old man in the capital’s Meanchey district early yesterday, police said.

The men, all security guards from a venue called City Club, had been in a verbal altercation with the victim, Kong Socheat, shortly before he was shot in the head at about 4am, alleged Mao Saveurn, a police official in Stung Meanchey commune.

“After witnesses told the authorities about the suspects, police immediately arrested six security guards from the City Club and sent them to Meanchey district police station for [questioning],” he said.

According to a witness – who described the attack as gang violence – the victim and suspects were chatting and smoking in front of the club when one suspect began mocking Socheat for being a garbage collector.

The witness, whom the Post has chosen not to name, said words were exchanged before a group of men followed Socheat on four motorbikes. They chased him down and beat him, before a white Land Cruiser arrived at the scene and fired two shots at him. One of the bullets, the witness said, hit Socheat in the head, while another flew into a nearby house.

“After seeing the victim fall to the ground, the gang got off their bikes and beat the body, and after that they ran away. A moment later the authorities arrived,” the witness said.

The mother of the victim, Sor Vanny, 44, was in disbelief yesterday as she mourned her son’s death.

“We are a family of poor waste pickers, but we are human. Why they did they chase after, beat and kill my son like that?” she said.

“I want the authorities to search for and arrest the suspects and accomplices and bring them to justice.”

A villager who spoke on condition of anonymity alleged that the victim himself was a gang member who had encountered problems with other people in the area before.

The guards’ employer could not be reached.

MOST VIEWED

  • Rainsy will return at ‘favourable time’

    Opposition figure Sam Rainsy on Saturday suggested he would not return to Cambodia as he had previously promised, saying that like liberators King Father Norodom Sihanouk and Charles de Gaulle, he would only do so at a “favourable time”. “I will go back to Cambodia

  • Temi tourism project approved by the CDC

    The $500.4 million Tourism, Ecological, Marine and International (Temi) tourism project has been approved by the Council for the Development of Cambodia (CDC), according to a notice on its Facebook page on Monday. The project is part of Chinese-owned Union City Development Group Co Ltd’s (

  • US Embassy urged to stop ‘disrespecting sovereignty’

    The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation called on the US Embassy in Phnom Penh on Saturday to respect the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations after it called former opposition leader Kem Sokha “an innocent man” – a move deemed to be “disrespecting Cambodia’s

  • NagaWorld casino sees net profit of more than $390M last year

    Phnom Penh’s NagaWorld casino posted a 53 per cent net profit increase last year at $390.6 million, a sum which is almost equal to the combined net profit of all Cambodian commercial banks in 2017. NagaWorld’s parent company, NagaCorp Ltd, is listed on the Hong Kong