Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Six missing after border shooting

Six missing after border shooting

Six missing after border shooting

Police and military officials were searching for six missing Cambodians yesterday who villagers believe were shot dead by Thai soldiers on Saturday night after entering the Khun Han district of Thailand’s Si Saket province in search of luxury timber.

Neth Hing, who lives in Oddar Meanchey’s Trapaing Prasath district, told the Post that 13 people showed up at her doorstep yesterday morning, telling her they were survivors of a group of 19 Cambodians who had entered Thailand via the Thmor Pres border crossing.

“They came to [my home] this morning about 11:00. They fled because of shooting; they said that six people died,” Neth Hing said. “They said this [while] they were sitting [at my house].”

Speaking with the Post yesterday evening, Keo San, police chief of Trapaing Prasat district, confirmed that the shooting had occurred but could not confirm if the six in question had been killed.

“We are in the jungle now looking for the people,” he said by telephone, adding that he  could not yet say whether the missing people are “dead or injured or lost somewhere”.

One military official based on the border near Trapaing Prasat district who asked to remain anonymous also confirmed the shooting, saying that not only had the villagers entered to illegally log, but that they had been led there by a military official.

Every day, 100 Cambodian villagers enter the forest with military police acting as their guides, he said, daring to do so because of the promise of protection from the military police  –  as well as the promise of a big pay-off for the illegal timber.

“It is difficult to control [the loggers] because they cross the border with military officials,” he said, adding that Thai soldiers open fire on groups heading into the forest to log “nearly every day”. “I know that dozens of military officials have been sent out to look for the people in the forest,” he said. “I don’t have detailed information about them now, because high-ranking military officials [are withholding] the information.”

Military commander of division 3, Lieutenant General Srey Doek, who commands troops along the border near Preah Vihear temple, strongly denied that his military officials have any involvement with illegal logging, saying that while people illegally cross into Thailand, it does not occur in areas where his military police patrol.

“We are here for strengthening national security, and our soldiers have no involvement with logging activities,” he said.

Officials at the Cambodian-Thai Border Relations office said yesterday that while the Thai troops had fired shots, no one had died as the shots were simply a signal designed to recall troops.

“Thai soldiers shot to collect their soldiers. [They] did not shoot our Khmer people,” Dy Phen, chief of Cambodian-Thai Border Relations office said yesterday. However, he added that despite investigating and not finding evidence that Cambodians were killed by Thai soldiers, his forces were continuing to seek information from their Thai counterparts.

“So now we wait to see what the Thai side says,” Dy Phen said.

But people living in Trapaing Prasath district who declined to be named said officials of Cambodian-Thai border relations were refusing to confirm the shootings because some of them had financial interests in allowing people to enter Thailand.

Touch Ra, deputy chief of Cambodian-Thai border relations affairs, rejected the allegation, saying his officials had never allowed people to enter Thailand, but had always helped those shot.

“I have never received any [financial] interest. On the contrary, I helped [the injured loggers], giving them food,” he said.    

In February, Prime Minister Hun Sen warned military officials against taking part in the illegal timber trade.

MOST VIEWED

  • Temi tourism project approved by the CDC

    The $500.4 million Tourism, Ecological, Marine and International (Temi) tourism project has been approved by the Council for the Development of Cambodia (CDC), according to a notice on its Facebook page on Monday. The project is part of Chinese-owned Union City Development Group Co Ltd’s (

  • Rainsy will return at ‘favourable time’

    Opposition figure Sam Rainsy on Saturday suggested he would not return to Cambodia as he had previously promised, saying that like liberators King Father Norodom Sihanouk and Charles de Gaulle, he would only do so at a “favourable time”. “I will go back to Cambodia

  • NagaWorld casino sees net profit of more than $390M last year

    Phnom Penh’s NagaWorld casino posted a 53 per cent net profit increase last year at $390.6 million, a sum which is almost equal to the combined net profit of all Cambodian commercial banks in 2017. NagaWorld’s parent company, NagaCorp Ltd, is listed on the Hong Kong

  • US Embassy urged to stop ‘disrespecting sovereignty’

    The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation called on the US Embassy in Phnom Penh on Saturday to respect the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations after it called former opposition leader Kem Sokha “an innocent man” – a move deemed to be “disrespecting Cambodia’s