Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - SL protester, 15, released after months

SL protester, 15, released after months

SL protester, 15, released after months

A juvenile suspect held on charges of violence and criminal damage for his part in the SL Garment workers strike last November has been released on bail.

The 15-year-old suspect was released under court supervision yesterday, after an appeal was launched against his pre-trial detention.

A lawyer for the prosecution, who wished to remain anonymous, said the youth suffered from mental illness.

“He has a mental problem, and he is a juvenile,” she said. “We wait to discuss with the attorney whether we should keep filing against him or not.”

Vanny Vannak, 19, who was charged along with Ton, remains in detention.

Thirty-eight people, only one of whom was an SL Garment worker, were arrested after violence broke out at a strike in Phnom Penh’s Stung Meanchey district on November 12.

A woman, Eng Sokhom, was killed and at least six others shot when police fired live ammunition into a crowd of hundreds of rioting garment workers.

MOST VIEWED

  • US to ramp up sanctions after ‘flawed’ national polls

    At a press conference on Wednesday, the US State Department announced that it would expand visa sanctions on the Cambodian officials and individuals it deems responsible for “undermining democracy” in Cambodia. At the briefing, spokesperson Heather Nauert reiterated that the department regarded the July 29 elections

  • Final poll results confirm first single-party Assembly

    IN an unprecedented situation in Cambodian politics, the official results of the July 29 national elections have declared that the Cambodian People’s Party (CPP) will take all 125 seats in the National Assembly on the back of it receiving 76 per cent of the votes. The National

  • Chinese influence to sweep Kingdom?

    Growing Cambodia-China ties have seen the latter’s influence sweep across the Kingdom through increased investments and tourism. The Asian giant has become the leading source of foreign funds in Cambodia, fuelling the construction sector with huge casino and hotel projects. Much of the growth

  • Tourist arrivals up by 12%

    Cambodia welcomed more than three million foreign tourists in the first half this year, an increase of 12.7 per cent compared to the same period last year, official data from the Ministry of Tourism said. Leading the way in the rise were Chinese and Vietnamese tourists.