Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Small parties get late start in the campaign




Small parties get late start in the campaign

Small parties get late start in the campaign

As the ruling, opposition, and coalition parties spread out across the country yesterday, loudly hailing the first day of campaigns, five voices were noticeably absent: those of the other contesting parties.

The small parties are fielding just a fraction of the candidates and sport a micro-fraction of their campaign budgets. Which meant, for some, that the difficulty of making their platform heard on the noisiest campaign day of the year simply wasn’t worth the effort.

Daran Kravanh, president of the Khmer Anti-Poverty Party, said his party planned to start campaigning on July 4.

“I didn’t prepare anything for today,” Kravanh said yesterday.

The Khmer Economic Development Party and the Republican Democratic Party also told the Post they had no plans to hold campaign events on opening day, and the latter party claimed the government had in fact not allowed them to start campaigning.

“The government said only the large parties could start today, so [there’s] not too much confusion,” Rin Ken, a campaigner with the RDP, said. The RDP therefore did not know when it would start campaigning, she said.

“We are just waiting for the government to approve the campaign to start.”

Sin Vannarith, KAPP’s secretary general, said the party had not yet obtained approval for its campaign because it had not decided on what sort of events it would hold.

The Khmer Economic Development Party won’t begin campaigning until July 5, said its vice-president, Lim Samnang.

Regarding the RDP’s claims that they had been asked not to campaign yesterday, Tep Nytha, secretary general of the National Election Committee, said that “all political parties have the right to campaign, but those individual political parties may have failed to inform local authorities . . . in advance.”

“The problem may have been an overlap in the location and timetable of the campaign,” Nytha added.

The two remaining small parties, Cambodian Nationality Party and the League for Democracy Party, could not be reached yesterday.

ADDITIONAL REPORTING BY VONG SOKHENG

MOST VIEWED

  • Tourists urged not to skip trip

    The Ministry of Tourism has called on international tourists not to cancel trips to Cambodia, but urged them to adhere to several dos and don’ts when arriving in the Kingdom during the Covid-19 pandemic. The ministry released an eight-point instruction manual on Wednesday published

  • The taxman cometh – Cambodia’s capital gains tax casts the net on individual taxpayers

    In a country where only limited personal income tax existed, the new taxation law beginning January 1, 2021, will make taxpayers out of Cambodians, whether they are ready for it or not About two years ago, a little known amendment was made to Article 7 of the Law

  • Cambodian-American gets Star Trek treatment

    Kevin Ung, a Cambodian-American whose family escaped genocide during the Khmer Rouge’s reign of terror, was recently selected from thousands of applicants to participate in the Television Academy Foundation’s inaugural 2020 Star Trek Command Training Programme, a course intended to give hands-on filmmaking experience

  • Cambodia seeks to be transport hub

    Cambodia is working on several fronts to modernise its transport infrastructure and services, concentrating on opening new international gates to relieve and balance traffic congestion at its borders, Minister of Public Works and Transport Sun Chanthol said on Thursday. This is part of the Kingdom’

  • PM: West unfair to Cambodia

    Prime Minister Hun Sen released a message celebrating the International Day of Peace on Monday, saying that some major powers and western countries had been systemically cooperating to put political pressure on Cambodia as they did in the 1970s and 1980s. Hun Sen said pressuring

  • First ‘mobile kitchen’ in Cambodia enters service

    A catering company recently rolled out Cambodia’s first “mobile kitchen” – a $50,000 container capable of serving up to 200 people at a time. The kitchen is the brainchild of Seng Hok Heng Catering Services. At 4.4m-high, 6.8m-long and 2.4m-wide (expandable to 6.8m), the kitchen is equipped