Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Smartphone era beckons, says premier

Smartphone era beckons, says premier

Prime Minister Hun Sen uses a smartphone in 2013. AFP
Prime Minister Hun Sen uses a smartphone in 2013. AFP

Smartphone era beckons, says premier

A week after launching his own app, Prime Minister Hun Sun has urged government officials to follow his example and start using smartphones, which he says can make government more effective.

“I would like all leaders and civil servants across the country to learn more about how to use smartphones and to catch up with fast-developing technology that benefits our daily work and our entire nation,” the premier said on his Facebook page yesterday.

The prime minister also revealed that he keeps no fewer than five smartphones on his person, for monitoring information and communicating with his colleagues every few minutes.

“I think information technology is a very important tool in the development and maintenance of a stable and secure society,” he added.

Last year, the premier said he gave his approval of an agreement on new election laws via a phone message sent from his WhatsApp account.

CPP spokesman Sok Eysan yesterday said Hun Sen’s recent tech push was paying dividends, pointing to recent changes in the new Traffic Law driven by citizen complaints to the prime minister on social media.

MOST VIEWED

  • Prince injured, wife dies after accident

    THE wife of former First Prime Minister Prince Norodom Ranariddh, Ouk Phalla, 39, died while the prince was “severely” injured following a road accident in Preah Sihanouk province’s Prey Nub district on Sunday morning, officials said. Rananriddh, who is also the president of the Funcinpec

  • Guards protest dismissals, reject claims of sharing naked photos of child

    Some 20 former security guards at the US Embassy in Phnom Penh protested on Tuesday against their dismissal. They accused their employers of falsely claiming they had viewed and shared child pornography from their mobile phones as grounds for their termination. In total, 32 personnel were dismissed

  • We’re going to Wisney World!

    More than 6,000 mostly Chinese attendees witnessed the inauguration ceremony of a $1 billion Sihanoukville resort project called Wisney World in the capital on Wednesday. The event on Koh Pich, attended by several senior Cambodian government officials, is a joint venture between China’s AMC International and

  • Funcinpec urges probe into deadly Preah Sihanouk accident

    THE Funcinpec party has urged the government, especially the Ministry of Interior, to investigate the traffic accident in Preah Sihanouk province which left Prince Norodom Ranariddh badly injured and his wife Ouk Phalla dead. Funcinpec Vice President You Hokry told reporters at Botum Votey pagoda,