Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - SMEC sacks staffer for conflict of interest



SMEC sacks staffer for conflict of interest

SMEC sacks staffer for conflict of interest

An Australian firm advising the Cambodian government on a multi-million dollar road repair programme has confirmed it sacked a staff member after an investigation into alleged impropriety.

The employee sat on an evaluation committee which awarded a contract to supply road-building equipment to a company he had personal links to.

The man worked for the Snowy Mountain Engineering Corp (SMEC), a former Australian government-owned company acting as technical advisers to the Ministry of Public Works.

A SMEC team is advising a ministry Project Implementation Team overseeing the spending of $24 of million Asian Development Bank money on the reconstruction of Cambodian national highways.

The ministry team bought some $2 million worth of equipment early this year, including some from Australian company Elite Machinery.

SMEC employee John Johnson, who had previously "been involved" with Elite Machinery, was a member of the ministry panel which awarded Elite the contract. An investigation was launched after Mr Johnson's association with Elite came to light six months later.

"We saw that it was in everybody's interests that we sever our relationship (with Mr Johnson)," SMEC senior highway engineer Richard Dixon said. "It was getting to the point where it could have been nasty."

Mr Dixon was reluctant to specify Mr Johnson's links with Elite Machinery at the time, only saying that he had been associated with the company. He said Elite's management had given assurances that Mr Johnson was not a shareholder in the company and was not paid by it.

Mr Johnson "knew there was a conflict of interest", but Mr Dixon did not believe he had deliberately acted improperly.

"He knew where he could get a particular piece of equipment...he went there (to Elite)."

Elite had been the lowest bidder for the contract to supply the equipment - "of the order of several hundred thousand dollars" - and Mr Johnson had been only one member of the committee which awarded it.

Elite had since won other contracts to supply the ministry with roading materials since Mr Johnson's departure from SMEC.

The Asian Development Bank (ADB), which funded the equipment purchases from a loan to the Cambodian government, had been informed of the incident.

Mr Dixon rejected allegations made to the Post by others in the industry that other instances of firms with links to Mr Johnson tendering to supply equipment had been the subject of investigation.

Meanwhile, he said the ministry team's road reconstruction work, primarily on National Routes 1, 2 and 3, was progressing more quickly after a slow start. Mr Dixon acknowledged that the ADB "were critical of some of the things that have gone on" in regard to the slowness of the work.

He said delays had been caused by problems with obtaining new equipment and machines.

More recently, bids for the reconstruction of three sections of Route 5 are understood to have been delayed because of inadequate tender documents prepared by SMEC.

The original December 16 deadline for tender bids to be made was extended until January 5.

Extensive additions to the original tender documents have been issued after the ADB, which is funding the work, complained they were substandard.

A facsimile to SMEC from the ADB's Manila headquarters, obtained by the Post, identified 33 "inconsistencies" in the documents and said the list was "not exhaustive".

The facsimile, dated November 8, concluded that the documents were "inexpertly" compiled and "not of an acceptable standard". It said they should be "thoroughly reviewed" and revised urgently.

Mr Dixon said there had been problems with the documents because they had been produced under severe time constraints. Two sets of "new instructions" to prospective tenderers had since been issued to improve them.

ADB programs manager in Manila, R M Tan, said the bank would need to investigate the matter further and was not in a position now to comment.

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Covid-19 vaccination now obligatory

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on April 11 issued a sub-decree making Covid-19 vaccination compulsory for individuals unless they have a medical certificate proving they have pre-existing health conditions that prevent them from doing so. «This applies to all members of the armed forces and civil servants