Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Smoke from mattress factory fire seen throughout Phnom Penh




Smoke from mattress factory fire seen throughout Phnom Penh

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Firefighters work to manage a blaze that broke out at Heng Heng Mattress Factory in Meanchey district.

Smoke from mattress factory fire seen throughout Phnom Penh

Plumes of black smoke overtook the skies of the capital as an inferno burned Heng Heng Mattress factory to the ground in Phnom Penh’s Meanchey district.

The fire began in the main building of the facilities around 1pm, before spreading to adjoining residential buildings where workers sleep, fire officials said.

Workers from a separate factory helped open up new routes to navigate through by breaking down walls and removing grates from windows, while others helped salvage merchandise.

No deaths or injuries were immediately reported. At least 100 firefighters from around the city were on site to help minimize the damage.

By 4pm, electricity had been cut due to concerns over residents’ safety. Residents, business owners and onlookers were also evacuated as flames overwhelmed living quarters for the factory workers and shot out of the building as firefighters deemed it to be structurally unsound.

Watch:

A resident who has lived across the factory for over a decade told The Post that it was the third fire to occur at the facilities since 2015, with the latest being the most dangerous as the first two had burned out on their own.

The first was said to have been caused by an errant cigarette butt, the second due to faulty wiring – adding that the factory owner had been hospitalized due to his failing health and left day-to-day business operations to his son and son-in-law.

Firefighters on site said that it was impossible to assess the damage or determine the cause of the fire until the situation was over as residents evacuated before the building’s inevitable collapse.

No government statement has been made available as of 7 pm.

Content image - Phnom Penh Post

Content image - Phnom Penh Post

MOST VIEWED

  • Chikungunya hits 15 provinces, says gov’t

    Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said on Thursday that the chikungunya outbreak in the Kingdom has spread to 15 provinces. Some 1,700 people are now suspected to have the disease. Vandine urged people to prevent its further spread by eliminating shelters for the Aedes aegypti mosquitoes

  • Body of woman killed in Bangkok returns

    The Cambodian embassy in Thailand is working to repatriate the body of a casino dealer who was shot dead in Bangkok on Monday night. Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation spokesman Kuy Kuong told The Post on Wednesday that officials are preparing paperwork to

  • Gov’t exempts visa A and B holders from Covid fees

    Airline passengers who are diplomats and officials of international organisations holding Type A and B visas for travel to Cambodia are exempted from paying Covid-19 testing fees, said the Ministry of Health in its latest adjustment of rules on Wednesday. Health Minister Mam Bun Heng

  • All inbound flights set to face added scrutiny

    Ministry of Health spokesperson Or Vandine said on Monday that the ministry is monitoring all inbound flights, after it was announced that only those from Malaysia and Indonesia will be temporarily cancelled from August 1. Vandine said on Monday that the two countries were identified as