Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Soldier arrested over broken bridge in Kampot



Soldier arrested over broken bridge in Kampot

Choeung Theng (pictured) after being detained over the weekend for the destruction of a bridge in Kampot Province. National Police
Choeung Theng (pictured) after being detained over the weekend for the destruction of a bridge in Kampot Province. National Police

Soldier arrested over broken bridge in Kampot

Military police arrested a soldier, Choeung Theng, 33, on Saturday in Kampong Speu province over the destruction of a Kampot province bridge a week before.

The Chhouk district bridge collapsed under the weight of a truck overloaded with timber on June 10.

“[Theng] was arrested for breaking the bridge and was sent to the provincial court,” said national military police spokesman Eng Hy.

Theng was also accused two weeks ago of being a member of an illegal timber smuggling ring by Natural Resources and Wildlife Preservation Organization director Chea Hean.

Theng refused to reveal his occupation, Hy said, but a Kampot Provincial Court warrant, dated June 16 and signed by prosecutor Ek Chheng Huot ordering military police to arrest him for allegedly breaking the Kampot province bridge, identified him as a major in Region 3.

Chhum Socheat, spokesman for the Ministry of National Defense, said this would not be the first time soldiers were involved with smuggling timber. There had been many cases, and they had been arrested and faced charges, he said.

Hean, who is “investigating relevant authorities that allow people to smuggle timber”, said people involved with illegal logging included those in the Forestry Administration, the military police, environment officials, local police and soldiers.

Last week, Hean called on Prime Minister Hun Sen to clamp down on timber smuggling by state officials. He said the smugglers continued to transport wood from Kampong Speu, Veal Veng and Phnom Kravanh districts into Vietnam.

MOST VIEWED

  • Kingdom's Covid cluster cases jump to 194

    The Ministry of Health on February 25 confirmed 65 new cases of Covid-19, with 58 linked to the February 20 community transmission. The latest cluster cases include nine Vietnamese nationals, five Cambodians, one each from Korea, Singapore and Japan, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total number

  • Preah Sihanouk hit with travel ban

    Preah Sihanouk Provincial Administration has announced a temporary travel ban to and from the province, except for ambulances and trucks transporting goods. The announcement came after prime minister Hun Sen called on people in the province to travel only if necessary, and that people not

  • AstraZeneca jabs touch down in Phnom Penh airport

    The first shipment of 324,000 doses of the AstraZeneca/SII vaccine which was provided through the Covid-19 Vaccines Global Access (COVAX) Facility was delivered to Phnom Penh International Airport on March 2. The rest of the COVAX provided vaccines will arrive in Cambodia at a later date.

  • Cambodia's Covid cluster cases rise to 137

    The Ministry of Health on February 24 recorded 40 more cases of Covid-19, with 38 linked to the February 20 community transmission. Of the 40, two are imported cases involving Chinese passengers. The 38 include two Vietnamese nationals and one Cambodian, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total cases

  • Covid cluster raises alarm, health bodies urge vigilance

    The Ministry of Health and the World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia have expressed great concern over the February 20 cluster transmission of Covid-19 in the community. Both entities appealed for vigilance and cooperation in curbing further spread of the virus. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine said

  • Cambodia's cluster cases jump to 259

    The Ministry of Health on February 27 recorded 26 more cases of Covid-19 linked to the February 20 community transmission, bringing the total to 259 in one week. The 26 include three Vietnamese nationals and one Cambodian, with the rest being Chinese. The ministry noted that five of the Chinese