Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Soldiers sent to Areng post



Soldiers sent to Areng post

Activists against the Stung Cheay Areng dam stand in front of police at a makeshift checkpoint in Koh Kong province
Activists against the Stung Cheay Areng dam stand in front of police at a makeshift checkpoint in Koh Kong province yesterday. PHOTO SUPPLIED

Soldiers sent to Areng post

Soldiers have been stationed at the site of a roadblock that was manned by environmental activists protesting the planned Stung Cheay Areng dam in Koh Kong province.

Twelve Royal Cambodian Armed Forces (RCAF) officers have been posted on the road at the entrance to the Areng Valley since security forces detained 11 activists on Monday.

Neng Van, RCAF commander in Thma Bang district, said the soldiers had been deployed to guard the road to stop the activists from blocking it again.

“We are guarding [the road] around the clock in order to maintain order and security there, and to avoid the road being blocked, which disturbs the villagers,” he said.

Alex Gonzales-Davidson, founder of NGO Mother Nature, was released shortly after 1am yesterday morning after signing a letter apologising for “parking his car across the road”.

Ten other activists were released by the provincial police at about the same time, officials said.

“We had to make a contract with the authorities, promising to stop doing any activities, but we will still carry out our campaign, because it’s not illegal,” Mother Nature’s Heng Samnang, 21, said.

The authorities confiscated several cameras from the activists on Monday and deleted images and videos of the incident, Mother Nature representatives said.

“Three of our cameras were thrown into the jungle. We’re hearing that the relocation site’s been taken over by soldiers,” Gonzales-Davidson said. “These are people under the pay of [dam builder] Sinohydro . . . We’re not going to let them in regardless of who they are.”

Um Serey Vuth of Sawac Consultants, which has been contracted to carry out an environmental impact assessment at the planned dam site, said he was waiting on authorisation to go back into the valley.

Sam Khitviet, Koh Kong provincial police chief, said that if the campaign continued, the activists could face “tough measures”.

The Cambodian Youth Network issued a statement yesterday condemning the arrests as “an act of intimidation on the protesters who work to preserve the forest and natural resources”.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Courts’ decisions now published as reference source

    The Ministry of Justice has published 44 verdicts from civil litigation cases which can be used as models for court precedents and for study by the public and those who work in pertinent fields. Publication of the verdicts on December 31 came as the result of joint

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • Quarantine site in north Phnom Penh inaugurated

    A four-building quarantine centre in Phnom Penh’s Prek Pnov district was formally inaugurated on January 6. The centre can house up to 500 people, according to Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng. At the inauguration ceremony, Sreng said the municipal hall had cooperated with the Ministry

  • China firm to develop Mondulkiri airport

    Tourism to the Kingdom’s northeast corridor could experience a remarkable metamorphosis after the government decided in principle of a Chinese company to study and develop a proposal to build a regional-level airport in Mondulkiri province, according to industry insiders. The Council of Ministers said