Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - South China Sea hotline floated

South China Sea hotline floated

South China Sea hotline floated

121119_03

Filipinos chant anti-China slogans as they march towards the Chinese consulate in Manila in May. The South China Sea issue has sparked numerous protests across the region this year. Photograph: Reuters

With a code of conduct for the South China Sea nowhere in sight, ASEAN diplomats said they were mulling a decidedly old-fashioned salve in the interim: a telephone hotline.

Speaking on the sidelines of the ASEAN summit, Indonesian Foreign Minister Marty Natalegawa said ministers had discussed the idea of a hotline during Saturday’s Foreign Minister meeting.

“What Indonesia is now looking for, while we are working on the [Code of Conduct], is a commitment on the part of ASEAN and China to open a hotline of communication. If there were to be an incident in the future – irrespective of the fact that the COC is not yet in operation – we can commit to having communication and dialogue.”

First proposed a decade ago, a binding code governing disputes in the resource-rich body of water has proven to be a Herculean undertaking for the regional bloc. Tensions have flared up repeatedly between China, the largest claimant, and the Philippines and Vietnam, while debate over how to address the issue has led to increasing acrimony among ASEAN member states.

After leaders failed to issue a joint communiqué during the July summit for the first time in the bloc’s 45-year history, over conflict regarding the extent to which the territorial dispute was raised, the COC appeared all but stalled.

Officials this weekend, however, sought to downplay the lack of progress on the decade-old code, insisting that all remained equally dedicated to regional stability – with or without the document in hand.

Cautiously avoiding mention of the code at yesterday’s official opening ceremony, Prime Minister Hun Sen nevertheless stressed that the South China Sea was a topic of concern.

“ASEAN promotes the effective functioning of existing mechanisms to ensure regional security and peace such as... the Declaration on the Conduct of Parties in the South China Sea,” he said.

His statement, focused solely on the non-binding declaration, reflects a shift from earlier this year, when Cambodian officials said they hoped a draft code would be finalised under their chairmanship.

Instead, delegates this weekend sought to manage expectations, and refused to speculate on when a draft might be forthcoming.

“People always ask about the timeline... but it depends on the process. The process is equally as important as the outcome,” Foreign Affairs Secretary of State Kao Kim Hourn said during a Saturday press conference, before insisting the document was moving apace.

But yesterday, a ray of hope appeared with officials saying for the first time that a unified ASEAN called for formal talks with China on the issue. Prime Minister Hun Sen was expected to raise the topic of talks on the code with Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao during a meeting last night, according to ASEAN Secretary-General Surin Pitsuwin.

The cause for movement is likely timed to the visit of foreign leaders; just one day earlier, Surin said the dispute was “affecting confidence, having some implications on foreign investment coming in, concern about the safety”.

In a Thursday conference call, US Deputy National Security Adviser Ben Rhodes said the South China Sea issue would be one of US President Barack Obama’s key points of discussion in Phnom Penh.

“The leaders will want to discuss the salient strategic and security issue facing the region... the issue stemming from the competing territorial claims in the South China Sea.”

To contact the reporter on this story: Abby Seiff at [email protected] ; Cheang Sokha at [email protected]
With assistance from Reuters

MOST VIEWED

  • New US bill ‘is a violation of Cambodian independence’

    After a US congressmen introduced bipartisan legislation that will enact sanctions on Cambodian officials responsible for “undermining democracy” in the Kingdom, government officials and the ruling Cambodian People’s Party on Sunday said they regarded the potential action as the “violation of independence and sovereignty

  • Angkor Wat named as the top landmark for the second year

    Travel website TripAdvisor has named Cambodia’s ancient wonder Angkor Wat as the top landmark in the world for the second year running in their Travelers’ Choice Award 2018, an achievement Cambodian tourism operators expect will attract more tourists to the Kingdom. The website uses traveller

  • Ministry’s plan for net sparks fears

    The government has ordered all domestic and international internet traffic in the Kingdom to pass through a Data Management Centre (DMC) that has been newly created by the state-owned Telecom Cambodia, in a move some have claimed is an attempt to censor government critics. Spokesman

  • Hun Sen detractors ‘will die’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday said those who curse or insult him would eventually die without a plot of land to bury their bodies after being killed by lightning, suffering the same fate as those who recently died in Thmar Baing district in Koh