Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Staffers call for closure of Nauru site

Staffers call for closure of Nauru site

Staffers call for closure of Nauru site

The Australian government ignored allegations of physical and sexual abuse of asylum seekers held on the Pacific island of Nauru for more than a year without taking action, staff at the detention centre have alleged.

Twenty-three current and former staff signed an open letter calling for all remaining asylum seekers on the island to be sent to Australia and the detention centre to be shut down, the Guardian Australia reported yesterday.

Cambodia and Australia signed a pact to send refugees from Nauru to the Kingdom last September, but since the agreement was penned, a flood of allegations of abuse and self-harm have emerged.

A recent review of the centre’s conditions by former integrity commissioner Phillip Moss found some of the allegations were substantiated, sparking a Senate inquiry.

“We would like to inform the Australian public that the government and the Department of Immigration and Border Protection has been aware of the [allegations of] sexual and physical assault of women and children on Nauru for at least 17 months, long before the Moss review was ever commissioned,” the letter reads.

MOST VIEWED

  • Government hits back at threats to pull EBA, suspend UN seat

    The spokesman for the ruling Cambodian People’s Party (CPP) has said the government is in no way concerned after the European Parliament gave it three months to reverse what it called the “systematic repression of the political opposition”. Ignoring the ultimatum could mean facing

  • Chinese influx pushing locals, Westerners out of Preah Sihanouk

    Some within the Kingdom’s tourism industry have speculated that the recent influx of Chinese visitors may hinder domestic tourism as the price of accommodations in the coastal city of Sihanoukville continues to rise. Preah Sihanouk province, which has become a hotbed for Chinese investment

  • Sar Kheng: Sokha requested security

    Interior Minister Sar Kheng on Sunday revealed the story behind the transfer of former opposition party leader Kem Sokha from Trapaing Phlong prison in Tbong Khmum province to his house in the capital. Speaking at the ruling Cambodian People’s Party (CPP) headquarters in Prey

  • Chinese living in Kingdom more than doubles since ’17

    The number of Chinese nationals living in Cambodia this year has increased to more than 210,000. The figure rose from last year’s 100,000, the newly appointed Secretary of State Sok Phal confirmed yesterday. He said: “Of the 210,000, more than 78,000 are living in Preah Sihanouk [province], but