Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - State TV broadcasts to go digital



State TV broadcasts to go digital

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Minister of Information Khieu Kanharith chairs a meeting at the ministry to check drafts of framework policies regarding state analogue television broadcasts’ change to digital. AGENCE KAMPUCHEA PRESSE

State TV broadcasts to go digital

The Ministry of Information will convene a meeting with the ministries of Posts and Telecommunications; and Economy and Finance, on Wednesday to review the progress of changing state analogue television broadcasts to digital.

Minister of Information Khieu Kanharith on Monday chaired a meeting at the ministry to check drafts of framework policies regarding the change. The drafts will now be shared with the other ministries during the meeting on Wednesday.

Kanharith said at the meeting that his ministry is trying to fast track the changes after Prime Minister Hun Sen made the call during a media correspondent’s gala earlier this month.

“The Ministry of Information is set to collaborate with relevant institutions to speed up plans to change television broadcasting to digital in a timely fashion to integrate Cambodia with digital televisions in the region,” he said.

He said digital broadcasting has better sound, picture and speed. These qualities attract viewers, especially because there is no transmission interference during broadcasts.

Ministry secretary of state Koem Kunvuth said the Kingdom first started exploring the change while speaking with other Asean nations in 2004.

Specialists from the ministry have since developed action plans to end analogue broadcasting by 2023 and move forward with digital in the country, region and the world.

“In the meeting on Wednesday, we will have detailed discussions about the action plans regarding each step from now until 2023.

“We will discuss what steps we should or should not take and with what extent of state funding. The Ministry of Information considers such issues in action plans,” he said.

Ministry spokesman Phos Sovann said the switch is of extreme importance.

“If we don’t change, we will face scrutiny from our neighbours. Also, analogue broadcasting equipment will no longer be produced as companies are only producing digital ones for the main markets. So, we won’t have spare parts in the future.

“If we establish a network to be managed, we can feed it with other information that will show up on television screens. If 10 programmes are being broadcast, we could hit them with a single news update like in the case of a natural disaster warning,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year