Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Stonewalling at Angkor complex’s temple




Stonewalling at Angkor complex’s temple

Stonewalling at Angkor complex’s temple

130126 04
A labourer carries out restoration work at the Ta Prohm temple, in Siem Reap province, last year. Photograph: NAW SAY PHAW WAA

Siem Reap
THIRTY workers involved in the restoration of the Angkor complex’s Ta Prohm temple were barred by their manager from entering the work site yesterday because of their unionism, labour representatives said.

The stand-off followed the manager’s announcement that on February 1, he would dismiss the 30 workers, who had been attempting to negotiate a collective bargaining agreement and calling for the Archaeological Survey of India (ASI) to pay seniority benefits to seven other fired workers, American Center for Internat-ional Labour Solidarity program officer Khun Tharo  said.

El Sarath, one of the union members allegedly set to be sacked, said manager Deyendra Singh Sood had not provided specific reasons for their sacking but said he was following his government’s orders.

“He didn’t tell us why, so we didn’t agree,” Sarath said.

If Sood carried out his threat, all 145 workers would ask the Siem Reap authorities for permission to strike, said Eung Khoy, vice-president of the Angkor Preservation Workers Union-Indian-Cambodian Cooperation Project.

Sood said the decision – made for budgetary reasons – was not up to him because the project was run jointly by ASI and the Apsara Authority for the Protection and Management of Angkor, with approval from both governments.

Chan Sokhom Cheta, chief of Siem Reap’s Labour and Vocational Training Department, said he had suggested Sood allow the 30 to continue working and would intervene further if Sood fired the workers.

Dinesh Patnaik, India’s ambassador to Cambodia, said the workers were temporary labourers who did not have contracts from which they could be fired, or that would ensure benefits. He added that ASI was simply a contractor for the Apsara Authority.

But Moeun Tola, head of the labour program at the Community Legal Education Center, said that as the direct supervisor of the work, ASI was the workers’ employer under the labour law, adding that although the workers did not have written contracts, they had binding verbal contracts.

MOST VIEWED

  • PM: West unfair to Cambodia

    Prime Minister Hun Sen released a message celebrating the International Day of Peace on Monday, saying that some major powers and western countries had been systemically cooperating to put political pressure on Cambodia as they did in the 1970s and 1980s. Hun Sen said pressuring

  • ‘Bad news is an investor’s best friend’ – unlocking investment potential in Cambodia

    It is time to shop. Economic woes provide good pickings for investors if they know where to look The poem If, written by English Nobel laureate poet and novelist Rudyard Kipling for his son circa 1895, is widely perceived as fatherly advice for John who would

  • First ‘mobile kitchen’ in Cambodia enters service

    A catering company recently rolled out Cambodia’s first “mobile kitchen” – a $50,000 container capable of serving up to 200 people at a time. The kitchen is the brainchild of Seng Hok Heng Catering Services. At 4.4m-high, 6.8m-long and 2.4m-wide (expandable to 6.8m), the kitchen is equipped

  • PM requests Russia’s Covid vaccine

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has requested that Russia provide Cambodia with its Covid-19 vaccine after the former announced it planned on mass vaccinating its population next month. The request came on Thursday through the prime minister’s Facebook page as he met with Anatoly Borovik,

  • Kingdom, China rebut basis for US sanctions

    The Council for the Development of Cambodia, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation, and Tianjin Union Investment Development Group Co Ltd (Tianjin) have responded to US sanctions on Union Development Group Co Ltd (UDG), a Chinese-owned company currently developing the sprawling $3.8 billion Dara

  • Influenza breaks out in eight provinces

    Nearly 600 people have been infected with influenza in eight provinces in the past month, Ministry of Health spokesperson Or Vandine said. The ministry is advising extreme caution. A report released by Vandine on Saturday said the Ministry of Health observed transmissions of influenza between August 15