Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Strategy plan, cash to treat healthcare crisis

Strategy plan, cash to treat healthcare crisis

Strategy plan, cash to treat healthcare crisis

Prime Minister Hun Sen has promised the government will double the amount spent on

healthcare over the next three years.

The pledge came at a ceremony marking the publication of the government's strategic

plan for medical services.

The Health Sector Strategic Plan 2003-2007, released August 22, identifies six priority

areas comprising 20 different strategies.

Mothers and children will become the focus of efforts to improve healthcare, with

specific targets such as reducing the ratio of maternal mortality from 437 to 305

deaths per 100,000 births.

"This Strategic Plan embodies our ambitions for a better and healthier future

for all Cambodian people," said Minister for Health Hong Sun Huot at the launch

ceremony.

The Cambodian government spends around $2 per person annually on medical care. The

Ministry of Health (MoH) said the new five year plan aimed for a fundamental change

in attitudes in medicine to better serve the needs of the poor.

The bulk of healthcare costs are currently borne by Cambodian households, a financial

drain that has been shown to be the leading cause of landlessness.

Some health sector professionals expressed skepticism over whether the plan would

provide a good blueprint for the future.

"It basically says we will continue to do the same, while the same isn't good

enough," said Dr Wim van Damme, medical coordinator for Médecins Sans

Frontières Holland-Belgium.

According to Dr van Damme, who consulted on the plan's formulation, the strategy

does not solve the "enormous problem with human resources" in which medical

staff with low wages "flock where they can make a private income".

He agreed with remarks made by the Prime Minister about the low quality of much private

care, but said the new plan failed to provide clear regulations to improve the sector.

A recent World Health Organization (WHO) study, for example, revealed that around

half of prescriptions from private practitioners in Phnom Penh were hazardous.

Others were more optimistic. WHO's representative Jim Tulloch hailed the plan as

"a major step forward" and said it was now time for healthcare providers

to adapt their policies to fit the plan's framework. The plan provides broad guidelines

for the five year plan, he said, which meant regulations could now be drawn up.

Most significantly, said Tulloch, "it's the first plan with national ownership".

MEDiCAM's executive director Jean-Francois Frys agreed, and said it was "good

to have a framework for different strategies so the health sector can develop".

MoH officials are currently negotiating with the World Bank, the Asian Development

Bank, and the UK's Department for International Development for $70 million in loan

and grant money to support the health sector project. Funds from other major donors

will also be used to help implement the plan.

MOST VIEWED

  • Stock photo agencies cash in on Khmer Rouge tragedy
    Stock-photo companies selling images from S-21 raises ethics concerns

    A woman with short-cropped hair stares directly into the camera, her head cocked slightly to the side. On her lap is a sleeping infant just barely in the frame. The woman was the wife of a Khmer Rouge officer who fell out of favour, and

  • Defence Ministry denies weapons in smuggling case came from Cambodia

    After a Thai national was arrested last week for allegedly smuggling guns from Cambodia to Thailand, Cambodia's Defence Ministry has claimed the weapons seized during the arrest are not used in Cambodia, despite the fact that both types of rifle seized are commonly found in

  • Prime Minister: Take back islands from inactive developers

    The government will “take back” land on roughly 30 islands from private companies that have not made progress on planned developments, Prime Minister Hun Sen said in a speech on Monday that also targeted land-grabbing villagers and idle provincial governors. Speaking at the inauguration of the

  • Shipwreck found off coast of Koh Kong

    Royal Cambodian Navy researchers are working to identify a decades-old shipwreck found earlier this month off the coast of Koh Kong province. Divers found the 70-metre-long wreck on April 4 about a mile from Koh Chhlam island, according to Navy officials. Deputy Navy Commander Tea Sokha,