Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Strike closes most Bavet factories



Strike closes most Bavet factories

Striking garment factory workers walk past the Tai Seng Bavet special economic zone last week in Svay Rieng province
Striking garment factory workers walk past the Tai Seng Bavet special economic zone last week in Svay Rieng province. PHOTO SUPPLIED

Strike closes most Bavet factories

All but four garment factories in Svay Rieng province were closed yesterday, as a strike of thousands of workers there continued into its second week, a labour union official said.

The strike, estimated to involve about 20,000 people across the province’s Tai Seng and Manhattan special economic zones, began immediately after Khmer New Year, said Kat Lot, vice president of the Collective Union of Movement of Workers (CUMW).

Workers began leaving their posts in protest, when word of a $50 bonus received by employees at A&J factory spurred workers at other factories who did not receive a bonus.

“Thousands of workers in two special economic zones in Svay Rieng Province’s Bavet town continued protesting today, since their demands have been refused,” Lot said yesterday.

Members of CUMW and non-unionised workers are among the strikers.

In a statement released on its website yesterday, the Garment Manufacturers Association in Cambodia decried inaction by the Ministry of Labour and local authorities in putting a stop to workers’ demonstrations, which, the group says, are tantamount to extortion.

“Because those factories refused to give them this money, [CUMW] led the workers to do the violent demonstration by throwing the rocks at the factories, threatening other workers not to return to work and destroying the factories’ properties,” the statement says. “It is so disappointing that there seems to be no action from the authorities to stop this activity.”

However, Svay Rieng provincial labour department director Has Bunthy yesterday said police and military officials have been placed in the two special economic zones in case violence occurred, but demonstrations have so far remained peaceful.

Bunthy met with officials from GMAC and the special economic zones yesterday to discuss possible solutions, he said.

GMAC secretary-general Ken Loo said yesterday that about 20,000 people hadn’t shown up for work, but that does not necessarily mean they are participating in the strike.

Workers are unreasonable in their demand, because they were never promised a $50 bonus, Loo said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Phnom Penh curfew starts today

    A two-week curfew from 8pm to 5am starts today in Phnom Penh, a day after a sub-decree detailing administrative measures to contain Covid-19 was issued by Prime Minister Hun Sen. “Travelling in Phnom Penh is temporally banned between 8pm and 5am,” said Phnom Penh governor

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Covid-19 vaccination now obligatory

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on April 11 issued a sub-decree making Covid-19 vaccination compulsory for individuals unless they have a medical certificate proving they have pre-existing health conditions that prevent them from doing so. «This applies to all members of the armed forces and civil servants