Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Strike ends at Bavet window factory

Strike ends at Bavet window factory

Strike ends at Bavet window factory

More than 400 workers from a Chinese-owned window factory in Svay Rieng’s Bavet town returned to work yesterday following two weeks of protests that saw strikers pelt their own factory with rocks.

Toun Saren, an official at the Collective Union of Movement of Workers, said that the workers agreed to return after their case was sent to the Arbitration Council.

“We sent our case to the Arbitration Council on August 17 after negotiations failed, and the Arbitration Council will be hearing the case on Monday next week, so the workers agreed to return to work,” he said.

Saren warned, however, that if the council’s verdict did not result in better work conditions, protests would start again.

On Wednesday last week, protesters threw rocks into the factory following a week of fruitless talks. Other workers within the factory threw some rocks back, injuring two protestors.

Chhai Vireak Oudom, administrative manager for the Beautiful Windows factory, confirmed that all workers returned yesterday.

“They’re already back at work because the case was sent to the Arbitration Council,” he said. “The company announced that they were still welcome here.”

Vireak Oudom estimated damages caused by the rock throwing at about $50,000.

“The company lawyer has prepared documents to take legal action by filing a complaint against the violence,” he said.

Union officials present during the rock throwing distanced themselves from the violence, saying they unsuccessfully attempted to calm down the frustrated protesters.

MOST VIEWED

  • Sihanoukville building collapse death toll rises to 19

    Minister of Interior Sar Kheng said on Sunday that the government will act against those responsible for the collapse of a seven-storey building in Sihanoukville on Saturday, which resulted in 19 dead and 24 injured as of Sunday evening. Sar Kheng said three Chinese nationals and one

  • Gov’t to probe Chinese exports to US via Sihanoukville

    The government is investigating allegations that Chinese companies are using Chinese-owned special economic zones in Cambodia to export goods to the US and avoid tariffs, said Ministry of Commerce spokesman Seang Thay. The move comes after US embassy spokesman Arend Zwartjes said the US had

  • Banh: The Khmer Rouge worse than sanctions and pressure

    Minister of National Defence Tea Banh said on Thursday that having sanctions and external pressure placed on Cambodia was not worse than life under the brutal Khmer Rouge regime. Tea Banh, who is also deputy prime minister, was speaking to military and ruling party officials

  • Funcinpec ‘set to sell their headquarters’, says source

    An anonymous source from Funcinpec said acting president Prince Norodom Chakravuth had held a meeting with other officials to discuss selling several of the party headquarters across the country while the party president Prince Norodom Ranariddh receives medical treatment at the Royal Phnom Penh Hospital