Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Strike is over... for now

Strike is over... for now

Strike is over... for now

KRTalk logo

With the death of a defendant, budget woes and a walkout on the national side, the Khmer Rouge tribunal is going through a difficult time.

But a small piece of good news came out of the court yesterday, as striking staffers said they had agreed to temporarily return to work on Monday.

One of the strikers said that during a meeting yesterday, the Court Management Section “strongly assured” them their December salaries would be disbursed next week, meeting a key demand of the 16 employees who are refusing to work.

“On top of that, the office appeared to have treated us with more respect and dignity,” one of the strikers, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said.

“We were also assured our salary for March would not be ded-ucted, despite the fact that by Monday, we will have boycotted work for almost two weeks.”
The striker said the death yesterday of Khmer Rouge tribunal defendant Ieng Sary and the “dire need for interpreting services during the investig-ation of the death” had also influenced the decision.

But the salary fight is not over. It was not immediately clear what would happen if pay cheques for January, February and March fail to go out by the end of March. One striker said the boycott would resume, but a transcriber was not so sure.

“The transcribers have not yet deci-ded [what to do] if money doesn’t come through,” he said.

The development, though temporary, effectively ends a stand-off that began on March 4 when members of the Interpretation and Translation Unit — later joined by a group of transcribers — walked out of the booth demanding three months of unpaid wages.

Two hundred and seventy Cambodian employees on the court’s national side have not been paid since November.

To contact the reporters on this story: Joe Freeman at [email protected]m and Justine Drennan at [email protected]

MOST VIEWED

  • Hun Sen’s China visit ‘a good opportunity’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen’s visit to Beijing on Sunday to discuss economic and trade issues presents a good opportunity for the Kingdom to strengthen Chinese ties and counter punitive measures by the West, an analyst says. The prime minister’s four-day official visit to

  • Former chief bodyguard receives royal pardon

    The former chief bodyguard of late Senate president Chea Sim has received a royal pardon nearly eight years after he was sentenced to 15 years behind bars on several charges, according to a royal decree dated November 12, last year, and obtained by The Post on Wednesday.

  • Close to the edge: Hair raising pictures from Kulen Mountain

    A new hair raising attraction on Kulen Mountain has finally opened to the public, with people flocking to the protruding cliff edge overlooking green mountainous forests to take photographs. The giant overhanging rock is situated in an area known as Mahendraparvata – an ancient city of

  • US warned not to interfere despite successful meeting

    A senior Ministry of National Defence official said the Tuesday meeting between the US Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defence for South and Southeast Asia Joseph H Felter and General Neang Phat had helped strengthen relations between the two countries’ militaries. However, a senior Cambodian People’