Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Strikers ordered back to work

Strikers ordered back to work

Strikers ordered back to work

111201_06
Garment workers from the Cambo Handsome 1 factory strike in Phnom Penh yesterday.

The Phnom Penh Municipal Court ordered on Tuesday that workers striking at Cambo Handsome 1 return to work within 48 hours and banned them from striking in front of the garment factory, in the capital’s Dankgor district.

Seang Sambath, president of the Federation of Friendship Unions, said nearly 1,000 workers continued their strike yesterday as mediators from the labour ministry continued to attempt to negotiate a settlement between the two sides. The workers heard about the court order yesterday, he said.

Kim Young Woo, co-ordinator for corporate social responsibility at Hansoll Textile, Cambo Handsome’s parent company in Korea, said late on Tuesday the company had received a letter from the court that day ordering workers to end their strike and return to work.

Seang Sambath said most workers would continue to strike today, despite the court order to return to work.

Garment maker Von Samen said workers would “absolutely refuse” to return to the factory until their five demands had been met.

These included the withdrawal of a theft charge against a union leader and his suspension from the factory, along with the suspension of two other union leaders, and the replacement of security guards at the factory.

Workers and union leaders have alleged a security guard placed two Gap T-shirts under the seat of union leader Van Rim’s motorbike, which led to him being charged with theft.

Hout Sok, a legal officer at the factory, said the company was in compliance with the law.

He put the number of workers on strike at “a few hundred”, but agreed with union leaders that negotiations had failed to reach an agreement.

MOST VIEWED

  • New US bill ‘is a violation of Cambodian independence’

    After a US congressmen introduced bipartisan legislation that will enact sanctions on Cambodian officials responsible for “undermining democracy” in the Kingdom, government officials and the ruling Cambodian People’s Party on Sunday said they regarded the potential action as the “violation of independence and sovereignty

  • Angkor Wat named as the top landmark for the second year

    Travel website TripAdvisor has named Cambodia’s ancient wonder Angkor Wat as the top landmark in the world for the second year running in their Travelers’ Choice Award 2018, an achievement Cambodian tourism operators expect will attract more tourists to the Kingdom. The website uses traveller

  • Ministry’s plan for net sparks fears

    The government has ordered all domestic and international internet traffic in the Kingdom to pass through a Data Management Centre (DMC) that has been newly created by the state-owned Telecom Cambodia, in a move some have claimed is an attempt to censor government critics. Spokesman

  • Hun Sen detractors ‘will die’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday said those who curse or insult him would eventually die without a plot of land to bury their bodies after being killed by lightning, suffering the same fate as those who recently died in Thmar Baing district in Koh