Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Stung Treng court charges, releases officer



Stung Treng court charges, releases officer

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Major-general Chan Sam Ath was detained on April 23 for clearing 70ha of state forest. Fresh News

Stung Treng court charges, releases officer

Major-general Chan Sam Ath was found guilty of violating the Forestry Law by the Stung Treng Provincial Court on Wednesday, but he will not be imprisoned because of poor health due to abdominal surgery.

Sam Ath was first detained on April 23 for clearing 70ha of state forest in Anlong Chrey commune’s Sralao village in Thala Barivat district.

Stung Treng Provincial Court chief Yar Narin confirmed that Sam Ath had been found guilty by the court but won’t face jail time. Instead, he will be released under court supervision.

“The court has ruled him unfit for jail because of his health. We decided to release him on April 29. He was seriously sick because he had stomach surgery. So we cannot put him in jail, otherwise, he could die,” Narin said.

Narin didn’t mention the exact articles of the Forestry Law Sam Ath had violated.

Rights group Adhoc provincial coordinator Bey Vanny regretted the court’s decision to not imprison Sam Ath.

He said such practices show a difference between the legal procedure for officials and ordinary people. In the past, ordinary people committing wrongdoings were often detained without exception.

“This shows that the enforcement of the law is a relief for senior officials who are committing crimes. The court is not willing to enforce the law seriously.

“The public are subject to detention. The law has two standards – one for officials and another for ordinary people,” Vanny said.

He demanded that the court enforce the law equally to both officials and citizens and said the speech and policies of Prime Minister Hun Sen have always suggested that any civil servant found committing wrongdoings should be subject to legal procedures and possibly removed from his position.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Kingdom accepts Chinese vaccine, PM first to get jab

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said China would offer Cambodia an immediate donation of one million doses of the Covid-19 vaccine produced by the Sinopharm company. In an audio message addressing the public on the night of January 15, he said Cambodia has accepted the offer and

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • PM asks India for vaccine help

    Prime Minister Hun Sen is seeking assistance from India for the provision of Covid-19 vaccines as the country has produced its own vaccine which is scheduled to be rolled out to more than 300 million Indians this year. The request was made during his meeting with

  • One million Chinese Covid-19 jabs to start rolling in from February

    The government has confirmed that Covid-19 vaccines from China are set to begin arriving in Cambodia by February. This came as the Ministry of Health recorded two imported cases of Covid-19 on January 18. While calling on people to remain vigilant against the pandemic, ministry spokeswoman