Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Stung Treng family files suit in alleged cop beating



Stung Treng family files suit in alleged cop beating

Dim Kakvey after allegedly being beaten by police in Stung Treng’s Siem Bok district last week. Photo supplied
Dim Kakvey after allegedly being beaten by police in Stung Treng’s Siem Bok district last week. Photo supplied

Stung Treng family files suit in alleged cop beating

The family of a man alleged to have been beaten by provincial police in Stung Treng’s Siem Bok district on Saturday has filed a lawsuit against three police officers, despite authorities maintaining that the injuries came as the result of a gang fight.

Eighteen-year-old Dim Kakvey was allegedly assaulted by police in Koh Preah commune on Saturday night after he was punched twice by a group of delinquents.

“My son was on the way home . . . when he was punched two times by another group . . . but the police did not arrest them, and instead looked for my son and beat him,” said Heang Khon, the victim’s father.

“My son did not cause any injury to anybody, but the police beat him like a cat or dog, punching him in his face, causing his nose to bleed. When in custody at the commune office, they kept beating and kicking him all over his body and head.”

However, provincial police chief Mao Dara offered a completely different account.

“They fought each other, gangsters and gangsters,” he said. “When our police went to intervene, the [two groups of] youth had dispersed and there was only one young man [Kakvey].”

“He . . . fought with the police, biting one police officer’s hand. The police did not beat him but arrested him,” he added. “It is impossible that commune police officers hurt people. They only want to protect them.”

Chhum Seanghak, deputy court administration officer, said the court had received the case and it was in the hands of the prosecutor.

The case bears some resemblance to an ongoing case in Kandal, in which a man was allegedly beaten to death in police custody, despite authorities initially attributing his death to “a mob of villagers”.

Kandal Provincial Court prosecutor Lim Sokuntha yesterday said that provincial police had summonsed the three police suspects twice but they had failed to appear, adding that the prosecutors were looking into the case and “considering whether to issue a summons”.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Businesses in capital told to get travel permit amid lockdown through One Window Service

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Administration has issued guidelines on how to get travel permission for priority groups during the lockdown of Phnom Penh, directing private institutions to apply through the municipality's One Window Service and limit their staff to a mere two per cent. In

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and