Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Stung Treng men injured in bear attack



Stung Treng men injured in bear attack

Stung Treng men injured in bear attack

Two men who were looking for fruits were seriously injured after they were attacked by a bear on a mountain on Monday.

Siem Pang district deputy police chief Khun Davy named the victims as Euy Re and En Nham, both 29, from Santepheap commune, Siem Pang district, Stung Treng province.

The men are Kavet ethnic minorities and were treated by doctors at Stung Treng Referral Hospital after their rescue.

They sustained serious injuries to their faces while one of them lost an eye in the attack. The incident took place on what villagers call Kanom Mountain, which is 3km from their houses, Davy said.

“When authorities arrived on the scene, the relatives of the victims had already sent them to the Stung Treng Provincial Referral Hospital. The villagers confirmed that it was a bear that attacked them.

“We then went to see the victims at the hospital to ask about the incident. We saw their situation had got a lot better and they were no longer on the brink of death,” Davy said.

Santepheap commune police chief Sin Sovannary said the men were lucky to have escaped alive. “They were a lot better and survived death,” he said.

Nham told police that the two went to the Mountain to pick fruits to sell at the market. When they reached the mountain, they saw a female bear with her two cubs.

“He said they did not talk or do anything to the bear and continued to pick fruits where they were. When Re was picking up a fruit, the bear suddenly lunged toward them and attacked.

“They tried to run but could not so they had to fight the bear. During the attack, Re lost one of his eyes and was bitten on the face which made it hard to recognise him, while Nham sustained injuries on his face but it was not as serious.

“Nham then made a phone call to the villagers to take them to the hospital,” Davy said.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Kingdom accepts Chinese vaccine, PM first to get jab

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said China would offer Cambodia an immediate donation of one million doses of the Covid-19 vaccine produced by the Sinopharm company. In an audio message addressing the public on the night of January 15, he said Cambodia has accepted the offer and

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • Quarantine site in north Phnom Penh inaugurated

    A four-building quarantine centre in Phnom Penh’s Prek Pnov district was formally inaugurated on January 6. The centre can house up to 500 people, according to Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng. At the inauguration ceremony, Sreng said the municipal hall had cooperated with the Ministry

  • ‘Beware of WhatsApp fraudsters’

    The Ministry of Posts and Telecommunications warned members of the public who use WhatsApp to vigilantly guard against a new trick employed by hackers that involves the use of six-digit codes sent to potential victims via the popular messaging app. The ministry said hackers could