Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Stupa to be built for KR victims




Stupa to be built for KR victims

Stupa to be built for KR victims

The Khmer Rouge tribunal and the Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts will officially ink an agreement today to build a memorial at the Tuol Sleng Genocide Museum to pay tribute to the victims who died at the infamous security centre.

The memorial stupa, which will cost $87,000, will be funded by the German government via the Victims Support Section of the court, known as the Extraordinary Chambers in the Courts of Cambodia (ECCC).

The project will be implemented outside the judicial procedures of the court, meaning it will not be part of official “collective and moral” reparations projects that hinge on a guilty verdict in Case 002/01 next month.

“Non-judicial measures or programs are initiatives identified and implemented for the benefit of general victims of the Khmer Rouge regime,” the ECCC said in a statement on Tuesday.

“They are separate from Civil Party reparation projects, which are decided by the Judges in a case verdict.”

The ECCC and the Ministry of Culture are to sign a memorandum of understanding today at the museum.

The former high school saw the torture and deaths of at least 12,000 people when it functioned as the S-21 prison under the Democratic Kampuchea regime.

The prison’s notorious chief, Kaing Guek Eav, or Duch, was sentenced to life in 2012 by the tribunal.

Court spokesman Neth Pheaktra said that the project was expected to be completed by March 2015, with the construction of the Buddhist stupa itself to take about six months. The Culture Ministry will design the monument, he said.

The stupa, while widely welcomed, has been the subject of controversy due to plans to inscribe the names of victims or list them in a book nearby.

Some 70 per cent of those killed at S-21 were Khmer Rouge cadres rounded up during a frenzy of internal purges and many fear that listing names could upset families reading their relatives names next to the names of cadres.

Pheaktra said whether names would be inscribed on the stupa was “still under discussion”.

Hab Touch, director-general of the heritage department at the Culture Ministry, also said yesterday that no decision had been made on that front.

“Victims have asked us to inscribe the names, but we will have a meeting to talk about this first.… We want to do [this project] as soon as possible,” he said.

The stupa, Touch added, would occupy a 10-square-metre plot of land within the museum’s grounds.

Former S-21 prisoner Bou Meng, who because of his ability to paint portraits of Pol Pot was one of the few who made it out of the detention centre alive, said yesterday that he wanted the names of victims to be on the memorial to preserve their memory.

“I am happy [about the stupa] because my wife was killed there. I want my wife’s name to be inscribed on it so the world and the young generation of Khmers can know. This is evidence. I want the names
[of victims] to be put there as history.”

But Chum Mey, another surviving victim, told the Post in May that he opposed the inscription of names. Mey could not be reached for comment yesterday.

MOST VIEWED

  • School reopening to be postponed until November

    Minister of Education Hang Chuon Naron on Tuesday wrote to Prime Minister Hun Sen requesting a delay of school reopening across the Kingdom until November, when the new academic year begins. In his letter, Chuon Naron said the postponement is warranted to avoid the new

  • Foreigners in Kingdom must now register in FPCS system

    The Ministry of Interior’s General Department of Immigration (GDI) announced that it would not grant visa extensions to foreigners staying in Cambodia if their names are not listed on the Foreigners Present in Cambodia System (FPCS) by July 1. Foreign nationals can register in the

  • Covid-19 at ‘alarming rate’, health ministry says

    The Covid-19 risk level for individual transmission is at an “alarming rate” in the Kingdom and its probability is “not low”, warned Health Ministry spokesperson Or Vandine. “Cambodia’s coronavirus scenario is classified as being at an early stage of the pandemic because of ongoing

  • Mandatory quarantine for 30,000 workers begins

    Some of the roughly 30,000 workers from factories and enterprises across the Kingdom who went on leave during Khmer New Year began their government-imposed 14-day quarantine on Monday. Speaking at a press conference while visiting workers at the Phnom Penh Special Economic Zone on Monday, Ministry

  • Unemployed to get $40 per month

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training has instructed enterprises, business owners and travel agencies in five provinces to prepare the proper forms for the suspension of employment contracts. This, it said, will make it easier for the ministry to transfer $40 a month to workers

  • Gov’t travel ban flouted

    While the majority of Cambodians have paid heed to Prime Minister Hun Sen’s order to stay put and not travel during the Khmer New Year – the holidays of which were also postponed – several hundred have left Phnom Penh nonetheless. They have allegedly breached provincial

  • G20 energy ministers struggle to finalise oil output cuts

    Top oil producers struggled to finalise production cuts during a virtual summit held by Group of 20 (G20) energy ministers on Friday, despite US President Donald Trump’s mediation efforts to end a standoff with Mexico. The final G20 communique appeared to gloss over simmering divisions

  • Kingdom revises travel restriction order

    The government on Friday eased the district and provincial border restrictions issued on Thursday. People are now allowed to cross districts within their provinces. Phnom Penh and Kandal province are to be treated as a single region where people are allowed to travel freely. In

  • Private schools struggling

    The Cambodian Higher Education Association has claimed that 113 private educational establishments are facing bankruptcy because of their inability to pay rent and staff salaries in light of nationwide school closures caused by the Covid-19 outbreak. It said the financial trouble started when the Ministry of

  • Khmer New Year holidays postponed

    In an effort to halt Covid-19 infections in the Kingdom, Prime Minister Hun Sen has postponed the Khmer New Year holidays scheduled from April 13 to 16. While the people will not have their usual break, nor will there be any public celebrations or gatherings at pagodas,