Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Subjects of drug trial relapse

Subjects of drug trial relapse

Subjects of drug trial relapse

091223_02
Drug users prepare heroin in Boeung Trabek in this file photo.

SOME drug users involved in a controversial detoxification programme have relapsed and started injecting illegal drugs again, a day after they were released from a clinical trial that authorities declared a success, officials said Tuesday.

The news comes amid continuing concerns over the programme, which authorities have pledged to expand, and its use of a little-known herbal medication called Bong Sen.

An official with the National Authority for Combating Drugs (NACD) confirmed that “some” of the 21 drug users involved had relapsed after their Monday release.

Neak Yuthea, director of the NACD’s Legislation, Education and Rehabilitation Department, acknowledged that crucial rehabilitation and integration supports necessary for successful treatment programmes are still lacking in the Kingdom. But he blamed the relapses on the communities to which the drug users were returned, not on the efficacy of the medication.

“What we worried about is that they may relapse because we returned them to meet their friends in their home communities,” Neak Yuthea said.
Bong Sen “is a detoxification drug, so these people have only been detoxified”.

Neak Yuthea would not say how many people had relapsed, but he did say officials plan to check on drug users who had participated in the 10-day programme.

One man involved in the controversial programme said Tuesday that he started injecting heroin again the day after his release.

“I want to stop using drugs,” said the man, who asked not to be identified. “But I’m around so many people using drugs. That’s why I started again.”
Others who were also released Monday said they believed Bong Sen was effective.

“After 10 days, I didn’t think of injecting drugs,” said another man, who said he had not gone back to using drugs.

David Harding, the international coordinator for drugs programmes with the group Friends International, said he was surprised to hear drug users had been returned to areas where they would be surrounded by other users.

“That is a very, very big pressure on a person that is newly clean,” he said. “To simply place people back in exactly the locations where they were previously shows an extraordinary faith” in Bong Sen.

Health professionals expect drug users to relapse multiple times on the road to recovery, said Graham Shaw, technical officer on drug use with the World Health Organisation (WHO), whose organisation has expressed “concern” over the trial and warned of a lack of crucial follow-up care.

“Usually in the assessment of a new drug, you would monitor a person’s condition for up to 12 months on a regular basis to see just how effective the medication is,” Shaw said. “Doing it for seven days would not constitute an assessment of a new drug.”

MOST VIEWED

  • Shanxi wins bid to build sections of new Siem Reap airport

    Shanxi Mechanization Construction Group recently won the bid to build two sections of the new Siem Reap Angkor International Airport project in Cambodia for 290 million yuan ($42.16 million). The existing Angkor International Airport in Siem Reap, 5km from the famous ancient temple complex and world tourism

  • Breaking: US House passes 'Cambodia Democracy Act'

    The US House of Representatives in Washington, DC, on Monday, passed the “HR 526 Cambodia Democracy Act”, also known as the Cambodia Democracy Act of 2019. If signed off by the president, the bill will allow two major sets of action to be taken against high-ranking Cambodian

  • VIP prison scrapped amid much criticism

    The Ministry of Interior announced on Thursday that Cambodia’s first privately run prison, which was to allow prisoners with enough money to upgrade to more comfortable cells, has been scrapped. Ministry spokesman Khieu Sopheak said studies had found that no other country in the

  • ‘Zero-dollar’ tours under fire

    Minister of Tourism Thong Khon has blamed “zero-dollar” tour operators for the decrease in foreign tourists to Angkor Archaeological Park in the first half of this year and has called for action against them. Angkor Archaeological Park received 1.24 million foreign visitors in the first half