Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Supreme Court upholds sentence ruling in 2016 rape-murder case

Supreme Court upholds sentence ruling in 2016 rape-murder case

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Trie Kimchheang, 30, at the Supreme Court on Wednesday. Kim Sarom

Supreme Court upholds sentence ruling in 2016 rape-murder case

The Supreme Court on Wednesday decided to uphold the Appeal Court’s verdict in sentencing a man to 23 years in prison over a 2016 rape-murder case involving a 10-year-old girl in Svay Anthor district’s Popeus commune in Prey Veng province.

Presiding Judge Kim Sathavy read the verdict in the absence of Try Kimchheang – the convict. The victim’s parents were present.

“Upon careful review of the court hearing on April 24, 2019, the [Supreme Court] has decided to uphold the Appeal Court’s decision”, he said.

Speaking to The Post outside the courtroom, Proem Sovann – the victim’s father – said he was not satisfied with the sentence. He expected a life sentence for Kimchheang, a consequence the former deemed suitable for the crime that the latter had committed.

“If your child whom you loved so dearly was killed, how would you feel as a parent? I pity my daughter so much . . . I think all parents would feel the same way as I do,” he said.

Despite his dissatisfaction, Sovann said he could accept the Supreme Court’s verdict in upholding the lower court’s ruling.

The court report dated June 7, 2016, stated that then-30-year-old Kimchheang had allegedly lured the victim away from her younger sister by asking her to help him forage for honey.

At the time, their father had left them at the rice field, 3km from their village, because he needed to go somewhere else.

Later in the afternoon, the father arrived home and saw only his younger daughter who told him that the victim had gone with Kimchheang.

The father went searching for the victim after waiting too long for her return but to no avail. He then reported to the commune police station.

Police carried out a search for the girl until they found her partially undressed and with a fractured neck in the bushes 200m from where she was last seen with Kimchheang.

The convict was detained not long after, the report read.

MOST VIEWED

  • US imposes sanctions on Oknha Pheap and Kun Kim

    The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation expressed strong dismay on Monday over the designation of Cambodian tycoon Oknha Try Pheap and General Kun Kim under the US’ Global Magnitsky Act. “It is very disturbing when the public figures of a country become the

  • Mother, daughter killed in hotel fire

    The bodies of a mother and daughter were found locked in an embrace after they were killed in a hotel fire in Phnom Penh at around 3:30am on Wednesday at the Phkar Chhouk Tep 2 Hotel and Restaurant in Phsar Doeum Kor commune, in the capital’

  • EBA withdrawal a destruction of EU achievements, PM says

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said the EU’s possible suspension of its Everything But Arms (EBA) agreement amounted to a destruction of its achievements in the Kingdom and the demise of the opposition group. Hun Sen made the remarks while addressing more than 6,700 students during

  • Rights Day forum denied in Sihanoukville

    The Preah Sihanouk provincial administration last Saturday denied the request of land communities for a public location in the province to celebrate International Human Rights Day 2019 as the administration had already held forums to discuss land issues. However, the land community representatives said they would

  • US told to refrain from interfering in Sokha case

    Senior Cambodian officials said on Thursday that the US can monitor Kem Sokha’s trial as it wishes but would not be allowed to interfere in court procedures. The point was made in response to US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo’s comments on Wednesday

  • Europe expected to consider EBA efforts, impact

    The government said it expects the European Commission to consider its efforts to comply with the “Everything But Arms” (EBA) regulations and the impact on one million workers should access to the agreement be suspended in February. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation