Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Supreme Court upholds sentences for 2014 grenade attack

Supreme Court upholds sentences for 2014 grenade attack

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Noun Samrith, left, walks with Eng Dalin outside the Supreme Court in Phnom Penh on Wednesday. Kim Sarom

Supreme Court upholds sentences for 2014 grenade attack

Cambodia's Supreme Court on Wednesday upheld the sentences of four men, including a former commune chief, for their involvement in a 2014 grenade attack in Phnom Penh that killed the intended target’s 11-year-old son and wounded five others.

In July 2015, the Phnom Penh Municipal Court sentenced the group of men to 30 years to life in prison for conspiring to murder Sorn Sin, who was engaged in both a political and land dispute with the Kok Roka commune chief at the time, Phy Nop, who drew up the plan to throw a grenade at Sin’s family home in Sen Sok district in October 2014.

Nop was found guilty of planning the assassination and was sentenced to life in prison, a decision that was upheld on Wednesday.

Noun Samrith, one of his accomplices, was also handed a life sentence for throwing the grenade, which exploded just two metres from Sin and his relatives as they ate dinner on their patio. Sin's son was killed, while he and four of his relatives were seriously injured during the explosion.

Eng Dalin, who drove the motorbike carrying Samrith, is serving a 30-year sentence, as is Pov Bunthoeun, who hired Dalin and Samrith for the job.

Soeung Panhavuth, one of the presiding judges on Wednesday, said Nop and Bunthoeun were not present in court due to illness.

During the 2015 trial, Nop confessed to having plotted the murder because he took exception to Sin’s allegations that he had bought votes and bribed the Phnom Penh Municipal Election Commission.

Samrith told the Phnom Penh Municipal Court in 2015 that he had been hired for $5,000, but was only paid half his share for having miss the intended target.

Bunthoeun at the time also admitted his involvement to the court and said Nop had promised him $10,000.

In its 2015 decision, the court also ordered Nop to pay around $180,000 in compensation to the victims.

MOST VIEWED

  • Angkor Wat named as the top landmark for the second year

    Travel website TripAdvisor has named Cambodia’s ancient wonder Angkor Wat as the top landmark in the world for the second year running in their Travelers’ Choice Award 2018, an achievement Cambodian tourism operators expect will attract more tourists to the Kingdom. The website uses traveller

  • Hun Sen detractors ‘will die’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday said those who curse or insult him would eventually die without a plot of land to bury their bodies after being killed by lightning, suffering the same fate as those who recently died in Thmar Baing district in Koh

  • Monks given ‘Samdech’ title for contributions

    Three senior monks on Thursday were given the highest-ranking title “samdech”, with Prime Minister Hun Sen saying that the promotions were due to their contributions to Buddhism. The three distinguished monks were promoted on Thursday morning at Botum Vatey pagoda in Phnom Penh, at a

  • Facing possible sanctions, PM criticises Washington’s rights record

    While United States congressmen are discussing the Cambodia Democracy Act and an amendment that could impose more sanctions against Cambodia’s government, Prime Minister Hun Sen on Tuesday counterattacked by questioning the respect of human rights and democracy under the US-backed Lon Nol regime, and