Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Suspect held over human trafficking

Suspect held over human trafficking

Content image - Phnom Penh Post

Suspect held over human trafficking

The owner of a massage parlour in Kandal province’s Takhmao city that offered the sexual services of girls as young as 15 was taken to court on Thursday after his arrest by provincial anti-human trafficking police.

The six females, some aged between 15 and 17, who were found at the address are being treated as victims of human trafficking.

A 51-year-old man was arrested by Kandal authorities on Tuesday “after a thorough investigation”, Chhem Vanny, Kandal provincial deputy police chief in charge of anti-human trafficking and juvenile protection, told The Post on Thursday.

“The human trafficking case involves only the suspect, while the six female victims, some underage and some over 18, were sent to the Kandal Department of Social Affairs in accordance with legal procedure,” she said.

Vanny told The Post that around 8pm on Tuesday, Kandal provincial police in charge of anti-human trafficking and juvenile protection raided the massage parlour with relevant authorities.

In the raid, police found and secured the six victims, confiscated a number of condoms and detained the massage parlour owner.

MOST VIEWED

  • Archeologists find ancient phallic statue

    An archeological team has found a metre-long tipless stone linga (penis) of the Hindu deity Shiva in the foundations of a temple in Kratie province’s historical Samphu Borak area, a former capital of the pre-Angkor Empire Chenla period. Thuy Chanthourn, the deputy director of

  • Man arrested for fake PM endorsement

    The owner of currency exchange company GCG Asia Co Ltd was temporarily detained by the court yesterday for attempted fraud after Prime Minister Hun Sen reacted to the company using his name and pictures to allege his endorsement of the firm. Phnom Penh Municipal Court

  • Sihanoukville authority orders structure dismantled

    The Preah Sihanouk provincial administration has ordered owners of two unauthorised construction sites to immediately dismantle them and warned of legal action if the owners failed to comply. Ly Chet Niyom, development management and construction bureau chief at the provincial hall, told The Post on

  • Police seek arrest of Chinese ‘gang’

    Cambodian police remain on the lookout for 20 Chinese nationals who earlier this month posted a video clip threatening to stoke insecurity in Preah Sihanouk province, though the Chinese Embassy in Phnom Penh maintained the group posed no threats to Cambodia’s national security. National Police