Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Suspected gambling ring raid inconclusive

Suspected gambling ring raid inconclusive

Suspected gambling ring raid inconclusive

Some 50 computers and 60 boxes of playing cards were seized during a police raid at a condo housing a suspected Korean online betting ring in Phnom Penh’s Tuol Kork district yesterday.

No arrests were made, however, during the five-hour operation in Boeung Kak II commune, police said.

Chhay Sinarith, the Ministry of Interior’s internal security director, said the apartment was not a place for online gambling, before declining to comment further.

Huoth Chanyarann, police chief of Tuol Kork district, only confirmed that the location was rented by a group of Korean men.

The raid follows two raids against internet gambling operations, which snared 114 Indonesians on September 10 and more than 70 people last week.

To contact the reporter on this story: Kim Sarom at [email protected]

MOST VIEWED

  • Police seek arrest of Chinese ‘gang’

    Cambodian police remain on the lookout for 20 Chinese nationals who earlier this month posted a video clip threatening to stoke insecurity in Preah Sihanouk province, though the Chinese Embassy in Phnom Penh maintained the group posed no threats to Cambodia’s national security. National Police

  • Rapper deletes song critical of Cambodian social issues

    A young musician has deleted from Facebook and YouTube a rap song that was critical of Cambodia’s social issues and announced that he will stop singing the song after officials visited his home in Siem Reap province and allegedly gave him a warning. Provincial

  • Man arrested for fake PM endorsement

    The owner of currency exchange company GCG Asia Co Ltd was temporarily detained by the court yesterday for attempted fraud after Prime Minister Hun Sen reacted to the company using his name and pictures to allege his endorsement of the firm. Phnom Penh Municipal Court

  • Sihanoukville authority orders structure dismantled

    The Preah Sihanouk provincial administration has ordered owners of two unauthorised construction sites to immediately dismantle them and warned of legal action if the owners failed to comply. Ly Chet Niyom, development management and construction bureau chief at the provincial hall, told The Post on