Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Suspected kidnapper held in police custody

Suspected kidnapper held in police custody

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Suspected kidnapper held in police custody. Pha Lina

Suspected kidnapper held in police custody

A man suspected of being the culprit in a kidnapping case from last November is now in Russey Keo district police custody after he was arrested by a joint force on Saturday in Kampong Chhnang town, deputy head of National Police’s felony office Nuon Sammit said.

Sammit said officers from the felony office, the Interior Ministry’s Security Department and the Kampong Chhnang police chief had worked together to arrest the man.

“We are keeping him [the suspect] at the district police station,” he said.

Kol Yi, Russey Keo district police chief, briefly told The Post that the suspect, identified as Sreng Borei, 23, was held for questioning while the case is being processed.

Kampong Chhnang town police chief Chhay Khemaroth said on November 20, Borei had kidnapped a 13-year-old boy in front of the Modern 5 conference centre on National Road 5 in Phnom Penh.

The suspect, he continued, had called the victim’s parents and demanded a $200 ransom. In the end, the mother paid $500 for her son’s release.

Khemaroth added that upon receiving a complaint from the victim’s family, the authorities launched an investigation, during which they tracked Borei’s whereabouts.

“He had been on the run. We received some information that he had stayed in Kampong Chhnang town, then the arrest happened."

“We arrested the suspect at 5pm when he was alone. Later on, at night, we brought him to Phnom Penh,” he said.

Further information shows that Borei is unemployed and has no fixed residence.

MOST VIEWED

  • Breaking: US House passes 'Cambodia Democracy Act'

    The US House of Representatives in Washington, DC, on Monday, passed the “HR 526 Cambodia Democracy Act”, also known as the Cambodia Democracy Act of 2019. If signed off by the president, the bill will allow two major sets of action to be taken against high-ranking Cambodian

  • ‘Zero-dollar’ tours under fire

    Minister of Tourism Thong Khon has blamed “zero-dollar” tour operators for the decrease in foreign tourists to Angkor Archaeological Park in the first half of this year and has called for action against them. Angkor Archaeological Park received 1.24 million foreign visitors in the first half

  • Some jobs off limits to foreigners from August

    Beginning from the second week of August, foreigners will be banned from driving taxis and tuk-tuks, as well as being motorcycle delivery drivers, street food vendors, hairdressers and product distributors among other lower-income jobs. Some white-collar jobs such as the head of human resources will

  • Breaking: Rubbish found packed inside 83 containers at S'ville port

    Eighty-three containers packed with rubbish were broken open at Sihanoukville Autonomous Port by joint authorities on Tuesday. The origin of the containers has yet to be ascertained, Ministry of Environment spokesman Neth Pheaktra said. Pheaktra, who is also the ministry’s secretary of state, said