Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Suspected sand exports to Vietnam stopped in Mondulkiri



Suspected sand exports to Vietnam stopped in Mondulkiri

Suspected sand exports to Vietnam stopped in Mondulkiri

The Mondulkiri Provincial Court and mines and energy officials said they are investigating illegal sand exports to Vietnam following the questioning of four people who were intercepted yesterday by authorities driving truckloads of sand toward the eastern border.

Officials will also investigate an official at the Labakhe border checkpoint in Keo Seima district who allegedly let 10 trucks loaded with sand pass into Vietnam earlier this week.

San Darith, director of the provincial Department of Mines and Energy, said the four trucks were heading toward the Labakhe border police checkpoint, but after officials intercepted them, they claimed they were selling the sand to villagers near the border, and went on to unload some of the sand at villagers’ homes, despite there being no visible construction underway. They also claimed they were selling sand to the border checkpoint office, where they also unloaded sand.

“We suspected that the sand [was going to be] hauled to Vietnam,” Darith said. “But we intercepted [them], so they just sold the sand to the villagers nearby.”

Darith said that earlier this week local media had reported that border police official Horn Keaseng allowed more than 10 trucks loaded with sand into Vietnam for the construction of a building. Each truck was allegedly loaded with about 25 cubic metres of sand.

Darith said the intercepted sand was coming from Kratie province. Mines and Energy Ministry spokesman Meng Saktheara said the sand depot in Kratie has a dredging licence.

“The source of the sand is legal, but what’s illegal is the export of sand,” Saktheara said, adding that exporting requires a permit, and that the Ministry of Mines and Energy had not issued any export permits since late last year when it issued a ban on sand exports.

Saktheara said that the depot sells sand to anyone and buyers can send it anywhere. The drivers claimed to be employed by a person who bought sand from the depot. Yet Saktheara also said he doubted their claims that the sand was destined for private villagers living along the border.

“This has to be investigated further,” he said.

Mondulkiri Provincial Court spokesman Morm Vanda said the drivers were allowed to go home because there was not enough evidence to hold them, but that the court would continue to investigate.

Late last month, villagers in Kratie’s Krakor village held a protest to demand that authorities halt sand dredging in the area, and alleged that sand was being exported to Vietnam.

Additional reporting by Yesenia Amaro

MOST VIEWED

  • Would you like fries with that? US burger chain makes Phnom Penh debut

    California-based The Habit Burger Grill restaurant chain is all set to serve up a delicious array of charbroiled burgers and sides at its newest international location in the centre of Phnom Penh. The Habit is “renowned for its award-winning Charburgers grilled over an open flame,

  • Phnom Penh underpass opens to ease traffic

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has announced a temporary opening of the 488m underpass at the Chaom Chao roundabout in Phnom Penh’s Por Sen Chey district, which was recently completed to connect traffic from National Road 4 to Russian Federation Blvd. The move is to reduce

  • Banteay Meanchey flood victims receive aid

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday provided aid to more than 10,000 families affected by flooding in Banteay Meanchey province’s Mongkol Borei district and offered his condolences to the 18 victims who drowned in the province over the past week. He said flooding had occured in

  • PM urges caution as Polish man tests positive for Covid

    The Ministry of Health on Wednesday reported that a 47-year-old Polish man tested positive for Covid-19 after arriving in Cambodia on Monday. There are a total of six Covid-19 patients currently in the country, all of whom are being treated at the Khmer-Soviet Friendship Hospital

  • ‘No chance Cambodia booted out of ASEAN’

    A group of former and current Cambodian diplomats on Tuesday fired back at retired Singaporean diplomat Bihalari Kausikan after he proposed that ASEAN dismiss Cambodia and Laos from the bloc. In an open letter, the Cambodian diplomats said Kausikan’s remarks were made from a

  • Show evidence of Chinese military base, critics told

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Monday said he had had enough of certain countries and opposition groups claiming Cambodia had allowed China to base its military in Cambodia and dared critics to show clear evidence. Hun Sen made the remarks while presiding over a groudbreaking