Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Svay Rieng authorities admit to felling tree




Svay Rieng authorities admit to felling tree

Svay Rieng authorities admit to felling tree

Svay Rieng provincial authorities on Sunday said a luxury tnong tree which disappeared overnight from a provincial hall was cut down to prevent it from falling and causing injury or damage to property.

The clarification followed widespread outcry and media reports that the tree, said to be around 200 years old and worth up to a million dollars, had been illegally logged.

Ngoun Khan, an official at the provincial hall, said the tree was felled because it was old and starting to decay.

He said the tree was planted when the provincial hall was built around 50 years ago, so it wasn’t 200 years old.

Khan said the provincial hall felled the tree on July 28 to make tables, chairs and other equipment for use at the hall.

MOST VIEWED

  • All inbound flights set to face added scrutiny

    Ministry of Health spokesperson Or Vandine said on Monday that the ministry is monitoring all inbound flights, after it was announced that only those from Malaysia and Indonesia will be temporarily cancelled from August 1. Vandine said on Monday that the two countries were identified as

  • Flights from Indonesia, Malaysia cancelled

    A Ministry of Health official has warned of the possibility of Covid-19 spreading through community transmission after the total infected cases in the Kingdom rose to 225. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine told reporters on Saturday that the possibility of community transmission cannot be overlooked and that

  • Man in quarantine dies of ‘overdose’

    The Ministry of Health on Thursday said a Cambodian migrant worker who died while being isolated at a quarantine centre in Tbong Khmum province’s Kroch Chhmar district may have died from syncope or overdose of tablets. In a statement, the ministry said the 21-year-old

  • Ministry set to reopen 20 schools in August

    The Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport will allow 20 high-safety-standards schools to reopen next month despite new cases of Covid-19 in the country. Ministry spokesperson Ros Soveacha wrote in a Telegram message on Wednesday that the schools are in Phnom Penh, Siem Reap and Battambang.