Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Svay Rieng SEZ blockage causing flooding: pol



Svay Rieng SEZ blockage causing flooding: pol

A car passes through the gates of the Manhattan Special Economic Zone in Bavet last year.
A car passes through the gates of the Manhattan Special Economic Zone in Bavet last year. Pha Lina

Svay Rieng SEZ blockage causing flooding: pol

CNRP lawmaker Ou Chanrith accused authorities at the Manhattan Special Economic Zone in Svay Rieng of purposefully blocking a water drainage system yesterday, leaving the surrounding area flooded.

“Kong Saphea and I will go examine the areas where Manhattan blocked the drainage system, leaving roads and many hectares of rice fields flooded,” Chanrith wrote in a Facebook post.

Bavet Town Governor Seng Seyla, meanwhile, initially dismissed the problem yesterday, only to seemingly contradict himself moments later.

“There is no waterway blocked,” he said, adding that “there is no water system connecting the special economic zone to the rice field area”.

But he also said that local officials are currently negotiating with Manhattan to open their water system in order to let the water drain from the rice fields.

Ken Lee, a representative from the economic zone’s administrative department, said that they have partially blocked their irrigation system in order to protect the zone.

“We did not block it 100 percent. We still let some water in, but we need to protect the property inside,” he said.

Lee also said they are trying to find a way to cooperate with local authorities, and touted a plan to build a drainage system connecting the rice fields with a nearby river.

“The lawmaker wants water to go through the middle of Manhattan,” Lee said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Phnom Penh curfew starts today

    A two-week curfew from 8pm to 5am starts today in Phnom Penh, a day after a sub-decree detailing administrative measures to contain Covid-19 was issued by Prime Minister Hun Sen. “Travelling in Phnom Penh is temporally banned between 8pm and 5am,” said Phnom Penh governor

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Covid-19 vaccination now obligatory

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on April 11 issued a sub-decree making Covid-19 vaccination compulsory for individuals unless they have a medical certificate proving they have pre-existing health conditions that prevent them from doing so. «This applies to all members of the armed forces and civil servants