The Preah Sihanouk Provincial Court will hear a case on June 25 related to the collapse of a seven-storey building which killed 28 people and injured 26 on June 22 last year, said its spokesman Lim Bun Heng.
“The court set the date of the hearing, and relevant parties and lawyers who will attend have been summoned,” he said.
Volunteer lawyers of Prime Minister Hun Sen expressed frustration with the legal proceedings in May when the hearing was postponed.
In a Facebook post, the lawyers said that on May 27, they left Phnom Penh for Preah Sihanouk province to attend the hearing for the victims of the building collapse.
But they said the presiding judges postponed it after one of the lawyers for the accused was absent and another requested the postponement.
“It has been a long time and involves many victims. The plaintiffs are still waiting for justice to be served for something that happened a year ago,” the post said.
The deputy head of Hun Sen’s volunteer lawyers Chhy Sambath said: “Volunteer lawyers of Samdech Techo [Hun Sen] have tried to perform the task responsibly. I can’t comment on anything else as they are in the hands of the court.”
In July last year, nearly 50 families of victims of the tragedy urged the court, through their lawyers, to move quickly to ensure justice was served.
Each of the families demanded from $20,000 to over $100,000 in compensation from a Chinese-owned company.
Two days after the incident occurred, four Chinese construction contractors were ordered to suspend their operations.