Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Swedish man held on kidnap charge

Swedish man held on kidnap charge

Swedish man held on kidnap charge

A Swedish man wanted by Interpol on charges of kidnapping his six-year-old daughter more than a year ago has been arrested in Cambodia, an interior ministry official said on July 24. Torgeir Nordbo was arrested with his daughter Alicia Elfversson late July 22 in the western town of Pursat, said Bith Kim Hong, head of the ministry’s anti-trafficking department. Nordbo, 47, has been charged with kidnapping and abduction, he added. Cambodian police were working with Interpol and Swedish authorities to arrange his extradition. “He confessed to us and said that he wanted his daughter to live with him, but that is illegal,” Bith Kim Hong said. Alicia’s mother Maria Elfversson has accused her ex-husband of kidnapping the girl in June last year, when he took her on a vacation and never returned. The mother had been granted custody of the child.

MOST VIEWED

  • Oil producers see oversupply

    Major oil producers said on Sunday that crude supply next year would outstrip demand, calling for new strategies based on production adjustments. Khalid al-Falih, Energy Minister of the world’s top supplier Saudi Arabia, said the kingdom would cut its production by 500,000 barrels per day (

  • ‘Historic’ Khmer Rouge tribunal Case 002/2 verdict to be delivered

    The Extraordinary Chambers in the Courts of Cambodia (ECCC) are to deliver the verdict on Friday, in the trial of former Khmer Rouge leaders Nuon Chea and Khieu Samphan, in a pronouncement hailed as a “historic event for Cambodia and the world”. The verdict from

  • Record set for world’s longest dragon boat

    Cambodia broke the world record for the longest dragon boat – a title previously held by China, Guinness World Records adjudicator Pravin Patel said on Monday. He verified the record on the east bank of the Mekong river, in Prey Veng province’s Peamro district. “With

  • Analyst: Government appointments ‘a waste of national budget’

    The government has appointed over 200 officials as undersecretaries of state, secretaries of state, assistants and advisers at various institutions since October 1. While senior officials said the appointments were aimed at ensuring higher efficiency at the national level, social analysts said the practice is merely power-sharing