Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Tainted water death toll hits 13

Tainted water death toll hits 13

Sick villagers are being treated at the Kratie Provincial Referral Hospital after drinking suspected contaminated water from a local stream. Photo supplied
Sick villagers are being treated at the Kratie Provincial Referral Hospital after drinking suspected contaminated water from a local stream. Photo supplied

Tainted water death toll hits 13

As the death toll of ethnic Phnong villagers in Kratie’s Chetborey district rose to at least 13, with over a hundred more in hospital, authorities called for a halt to all production of rice wine and consumption of water from the Prek Te river.

The ban came after the Ministry of Health said that rice wine samples tested came back with high levels of methanol, a form of alcohol resulting from improper distillation that can result in dizziness, nausea, vomiting abdominal pain, blindness, kidney damage and at high enough levels of exposure brain damage and death. Initially only tainted river water was identified as a possible cause of the deaths. Officials are still waiting for conclusive test results of water samples from the Prek Te river, which was also believed to be behind the deaths.

“At the moment, the Ministry of Health discovered high methanol levels in the rice wine . . . [and] we have the prevention [measure] of banning people from using and drinking the water flowing from Prek Te stream because we suspect that it is contaminated with poisonous substances,” said District Governor Hang Chandy. The governor said the ban was necessary to curb the already high number of deaths which on Monday afternoon stood at 13, according to Kantuot Commune Police Chief Phun Phea.

On Sunday officials said that the first death occurred on Thursday but on Friday, after funeral celebrations at which rice wine was consumed and animals were sacrificed to ward off evil from their villages, more villagers died and people began to fall ill. On Monday the Ministry of Health statement put the total number of hospitalised at 149, up from 137 late on Sunday when the death toll stood at 10.

Chandy said authorities were distributing clean water to victims to use for drinking and cooking.

Victims who died were all between the ages of 24 and 73, according to the ministry’s statement. At least 12 patients were in serious condition and receiving treatment at Calmette Hospital in Phnom Penh, experiencing severe symptoms of high levels of methanol exposure.

Ministry spokesman Ly Sovann did not disclose the methanol concentration in the samples when asked by reporters.

Sar Mala, director of the Kantuot health centre, said his facility began to see patients with similar symptoms starting April 26, nearly three weeks before this latest spate of deaths, but the number of people becoming ill doubled last week. Mala said according to his count, the number of deaths is much higher and it could be up to 17, though he hasn’t informed the Ministry of Health of the additional deaths, pending the water sample results.

Additional reporting by Yesenia Amaro

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Education’ a priority traffic-law penalty

    A top National Police official on June 21 neither rejected nor confirmed the authenticity of a leaked audio message, which has gone viral on social media, on a waiver of fines for a number of road traffic-related offences. General Him Yan, deputy National Police chief in

  • Pursat Ford assembly plant opens

    The Kingdom’s first Ford assembly plant was inaugurated on June 16 in Pursat province amid rising demand for brand-new vehicles among Cambodians. The facility is seen as a game changer for the domestic automobile industry, which could bring a wave of investors seeking to cash

  • Volunteer scheme to foster ‘virtuous’ humanitarian spirit

    A senior education official said volunteer work contributes to solidarity and promotes a virtuous humanitarian spirit among the youth and communities. Serei Chumneas, undersecretary of state at the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport, made the comment during the opening of a training programme called “

  • Siem Reap’s $18M zoo said to educate public, help wildlife

    Angkor Wildlife and Aquarium Co Ltd has invested $18 million in a zoo in Siem Reap province, which will be opened in October to educate and promote animal conservation as well as attract national and international tourists. Currently, the Angkor Wildlife and Aquarium is building the

  • Angkor photo rules clarified

    The Apsara National Authority (ANA) denied that it had banned the use of camera tripods in the Angkor Archaeological Park, explaining that the confusion stemmed from a long-standing rule which required commercial photographers and videographers to apply for permission to film. The explanation followed a

  • $50B infrastructure plan en route

    The government’s upcoming $50 billion,10-year infrastructure master plan will provide tremendous investment opportunities for domestic and foreign entities, transport experts and economists say. Minister of Public Works and Transport Sun Chanthol revealed the plan to Japanese ambassador to Cambodia Masahiro Mikami on June 15. At