Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Takeo workers get wages from auction



Takeo workers get wages from auction

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
More than 1,000 textile workers in Takeo province were paid after the sale of equipment from the defunct Hong Sen Textile (Cambodia) Co Ltd. Supplied

Takeo workers get wages from auction

More than 1,000 textile workers in Takeo province were paid after the sale of equipment from the defunct Hong Sen Textile (Cambodia) Co Ltd.

The workers had been protesting since September 9 and blocked the road in front of the factory in Prohot village, Donkeo town, on September 25.

The protest prompted the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training to intervene. The workers were given two options – a lawsuit or an alternative out-of-court settlement via a factory equipment auction.

Provincial Department of Labour director Moeung Virya told The Post on Thursday all workers opted for the auction option.

“We monitored the bidding to make sure it was conducted legally to protect the workers’ interests. The problem was solved smoothly and properly,” Virya said.

Virya said because the 1,285 workers were from two factories owned by the same owner – one had 906 workers and the other had 379 – the auctions were held based on the workers’ consent.

Six companies participated in the bidding, and the TK Company won the auction with an offer of $138,999 for the larger factory and $43,000 for the smaller one.

Each worker at the large factory received $150 and those at the smaller one between $100 and $200 based on their positions.

Cambodia Federation of Labour Unions president Sear Sorn, who facilitated the dispute, told The Post on Thursday the workers at the two factories received their compensation without objection.

The Hong Sen textile company had been operating for eight years, exporting underwear and baby clothes.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Kingdom accepts Chinese vaccine, PM first to get jab

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said China would offer Cambodia an immediate donation of one million doses of the Covid-19 vaccine produced by the Sinopharm company. In an audio message addressing the public on the night of January 15, he said Cambodia has accepted the offer and

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • PM asks India for vaccine help

    Prime Minister Hun Sen is seeking assistance from India for the provision of Covid-19 vaccines as the country has produced its own vaccine which is scheduled to be rolled out to more than 300 million Indians this year. The request was made during his meeting with

  • Capital set to beef up security

    Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng held the first meeting of the year with heads of armed forces in the capital to review and repair the deficiencies related to gun control, drug crimes, social order disruptions due to alcohol consumption and traffic law enforcement. Municipal