Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Teen gets 16 years in jail for killing boy, 11




Teen gets 16 years in jail for killing boy, 11

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
An 18-year-old youth was sentenced to 16 years in jail for robbing and killing a boy. Supplied

Teen gets 16 years in jail for killing boy, 11

An 18-year-old youth was sentenced to 16 years in prison and fined $10,000 on Thursday over a 2018 murder-robbery case which claimed the life of a 11-year-old boy in Takeo province, Children Protection Unit (CPU) wrote on its Facebook page on Friday.

The convict, CPU said, was arrested in Battambang province’s Kamrieng – a remote town bordering Thailand – at about 9:10am on July 26 last year.

The then 17-year-old Phan Panharith, also known as Vev, had been wanted in connection with the robbery and homicide of a boy which occurred in Takeo province two weeks earlier.

“The age of the defendant was taken into consideration at the time of sentencing,” CPU said, acknowledging the commitment and dedication of “all persons involved in the arrest including Takeo Police Command, Battambang Police Command, Kam Reing Administration Police, Ministry of Interior and CPU staff” to the investigation.

CPU said an “exhaustive six-day manhunt spanning numerous provinces across Cambodia” had been carried out prior to the offender’s arrest.

Speaking to The Post recently, CPU director James McCabe expressed his appreciation to “the court, judge and prosecutors for doing a good job and abiding by all legal procedures”.

He regarded the conviction as “reasonable, good and fair”. “Cambodia’s laws are very strict and tough on people who commit murder,” he said.

On July 12, 2018, Vev, who resided in Takeo’s Prey Phdao commune, and his female accomplice from Taing Yab commune, allegedly murdered the boy and robbed him of his motorbike.

It is unclear whether the accomplice took part in the killing. As of press time, The Post could not confirm her whereabouts or legal status.

The victim’s body was found a week later, resulting in the authorities going after the suspects who had fled the province.

Following a nationwide search, Fresh News reported, the arrest of both suspects was made on July 26 in Doung village, in Battambang province’s Kamrieng district. They were sent to Takeo provincial court for legal proceedings.

When The Post attempted to clarify the information, neither the Takeo provincial court spokesperson nor the deputy prosecutor – Lim Sokhan and Phan Sopheak, respectively – could provide any details.

MOST VIEWED

  • Hungarian exposes 90 to Covid in Siem Reap

    The Ministry of Health has discovered 90 people who have been exposed directly or indirectly to a Hungarian man infected with Covid-19. They all are required to quarantine at home and the hospital. The ministry is searching for other affected people. Among the 90, one is the

  • PM warns of ‘new Cold War’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said the possibility of a so-called new Cold War has become a significant concern and that all countries have to reject outright, any attempt to allow history to tragically repeat itself. He made the remarks in a speech during 75th Session

  • PM: West unfair to Cambodia

    Prime Minister Hun Sen released a message celebrating the International Day of Peace on Monday, saying that some major powers and western countries had been systemically cooperating to put political pressure on Cambodia as they did in the 1970s and 1980s. Hun Sen said pressuring

  • ‘Bad news is an investor’s best friend’ – unlocking investment potential in Cambodia

    It is time to shop. Economic woes provide good pickings for investors if they know where to look The poem If, written by English Nobel laureate poet and novelist Rudyard Kipling for his son circa 1895, is widely perceived as fatherly advice for John who would

  • PM requests Russia’s Covid vaccine

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has requested that Russia provide Cambodia with its Covid-19 vaccine after the former announced it planned on mass vaccinating its population next month. The request came on Thursday through the prime minister’s Facebook page as he met with Anatoly Borovik,

  • First ‘mobile kitchen’ in Cambodia enters service

    A catering company recently rolled out Cambodia’s first “mobile kitchen” – a $50,000 container capable of serving up to 200 people at a time. The kitchen is the brainchild of Seng Hok Heng Catering Services. At 4.4m-high, 6.8m-long and 2.4m-wide (expandable to 6.8m), the kitchen is equipped