Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Tempers flare over market marching orders

Tempers flare over market marching orders

Tempers flare over market marching orders

tempers.jpg
tempers.jpg

The 1,150 market stall holders at Sihanoukville's Psar Leu say they will go on

strike today for three days in a protest at government attempts to persuade them

to relocate to a new market at higher rents.

Vendors mill around Sihanoukville's Psar Leu after receiving their eviction notices on May 14.

They received eviction

notices last Friday, May 14, along with invitations to apply for leases at the

new market.

An angry crowd marched to the deputy governor's office the

next day.

He told them he can do nothing, that the municipality has a

committed contract with the Chinese owners of the new market, Psar Leu Thmey

(which some have dubbed Psar Thom, or "big market").

A delegation of 10

vendors will travel to Phnom Penh and attempt to ask Prime Minister Hun Sen to

intervene.

"If we can't see him we will talk to anyone who is prepared

to listen to us. We are very angry and we want the government to resolve the

situation," said watchmaker Khim Sony.

Sony said the 1,150 stalls

represented an estimated 3,000 vendors.

Most stallholders are attracted

by the prospect of a new, well-drained, purpose-built market, because

government-owned Psar Leu is said to become a pigsty when it

rains.

However, they say their businesses are very small and do little

more than keep food on the home table. They maintain the Psar Thom rents are

unaffordable for most.

According to Sony the upfront cost of a 50-year

lease at Psar Thom is $2,940 for a 2m-by-2m stall and up to $18,000 for the

larger ones.

Discount terms are being offered for payments spread over

four months, starting with a 60 percent downpayment, and nothing more to pay for

12 months.

The Psar Leu vendors also say Psar Thom has only one road

entrance and stalls near the entrance will have an unfair advantage over all

others.

The Post contacted First Deputy Governor Chhun Sirun to ask how

he intended to deal with the vendors' concerns, but he said he was too busy to

talk about it, and that he didn't discuss such matters by telephone

anyway.

Psar Thom has a checkered history. Recognising that Psar Leu was

reaching the end of its useful life without major upgrading, the muncipality

four or five years ago encouraged a Korean investor to build a new

1,200-lockup-stalls market 200 meters away,

However, after the building

was finished, there was a change of Governor. The market owner declined to pay

new government fees and taxes, and decided to sell out to a Chinese investor,

who has spent some months sprucing the place up.

MOST VIEWED

  • Two luxury hotels latest quarantine options for inbound travellers

    The Inter-Ministerial Committee to Combat Covid-19 has designated two luxury hotels as alternative quarantine options for travellers who wish to enter Cambodia through Phnom Penh International Airport – Sokha Phnom Penh Hotel & Residence and the Courtyard by Marriott Phnom Penh. In a notice detailing guidelines issued

  • Visa A holders get to quarantine at Himawari Hotel

    The Ministry of Health has permitted foreign diplomats, UN and International NGO officials to undergo quarantine at Himawari Hotel in the capital in case they do not have a separate place suitable for this purpose, but the government would not be responsible for the expenses.

  • Jabs for kids bring hope for school reopenings

    Cambodia is tentatively planning to reopen schools – at least at the secondary level – when the vaccination of children aged 12-17 is completed, even though daily transmissions and deaths in other age groups remain high. Schools across the country have been suspended since March 20, one month

  • China denies Mekong hacking

    As the US and its allies joined hands last week to expose what they allege to be China’s Ministry of State Security’s malicious cyber activities around the world, the attention also turned to Cambodia with the US Department of Justice claiming that four

  • Governor: Covid subsides in capital

    Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng said the Covid-19 situation in the capital’s 14 districts has eased, with only two districts still recording a high number of infections. “Transmission cases in all districts are dropping, though they are relatively higher Meanchey and Por Sen Chey.

  • Hun Sen: Get 12-17 age group ready for Covid jabs

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has told parents of children aged 12-17 in Phnom Penh and the provinces of Kandal and Preah Sihanouk to get them ready for vaccinations soon. “There is a need to vaccinate children and youths aged 12 to 17. According to the statistics provided