Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Terrorism hearing closes

Terrorism hearing closes

Terrorism hearing closes

PHNOM Penh Municipal Court has completed hearings in the case against five men suspected of organising a failed bomb plot last year that targeted the Defence Ministry and the state-run television station TV3.

All five -- who are accused of belonging to the Khmer National Unity Front, an antigovernment group also known as the Tiger Head Movement, -- face jail terms of between 20 and 30 years if convicted under the Law on Antiterrorism.

Judge Din Sivuthy said during a hearing on Friday that the presentation of evidence in the case would conclude following testimony from two witnesses called by the lawyer for one of the accused, Loeuk Bunnhean, a former adviser to the Defence Ministry.

“So today is the last hearing. We don’t need to hear any conclusions made by defence lawyers and the other accused, because we have already heard them,” he said. “We just need the two witnesses for the accused Loeuk Bunnhean to testify.”
Uch Sophal, Loeuk Bunnhean’s lawyer, said his client should be released because the case against him hinged largely on a note he has said was part of a Defence Ministry investigation into a terrorist group, not evidence of his involvement in one.
“My client was not involved in the foolish Som Ek’s Tiger Head Movement,” Uch Sophal said, referring to the movement’s alleged mastermind.
“This note is invalid because my client was reporting to high-level officials about his investigation and research into this group,” Uch Sophal said.
Sem Aknousanak, one of the two witnesses who appeared Friday, said he had written the note in question at the behest of Loeuk Bunnhean, adding that the suspect asked him “to take notes so that he could easily report to his boss about the terrorism group”.
In his concluding statement, however, deputy prosecutor Hing Bunchea called the evidence presented by Uch Sophal “meaningless”, and claimed the prosecution had evidence implicating Loeuk Bunnhean in the Tiger Head Movement’s activities from 2005 to the time of his arrest.
Din Sivuthy denied requests from all five accused to dismiss the cases against them. He said a verdict would be read out on October 1.

MOST VIEWED

  • New US bill ‘is a violation of Cambodian independence’

    After a US congressmen introduced bipartisan legislation that will enact sanctions on Cambodian officials responsible for “undermining democracy” in the Kingdom, government officials and the ruling Cambodian People’s Party on Sunday said they regarded the potential action as the “violation of independence and sovereignty

  • Long way to go before Cambodia gets a ‘smart city’

    Phnom Penh, Siem Reap and Battambang will struggle to attain smart city status without adopting far reaching master plans, according to officials tasked with implementing the program. The brainchild of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (Asean), the smart city program seeks to link up

  • Ministry’s plan for net sparks fears

    The government has ordered all domestic and international internet traffic in the Kingdom to pass through a Data Management Centre (DMC) that has been newly created by the state-owned Telecom Cambodia, in a move some have claimed is an attempt to censor government critics. Spokesman

  • Cambodian women diving deep, going far

    There is a saying in Khmer that “women cannot dive deep or go far”. The meaning is that women should not stray too far from their traditional gender roles. But when Menno de Block, an entrepreneur from the Netherlands, took a good look around his