Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - ‘Terrorists’ pardoned



‘Terrorists’ pardoned

KPPM members enter the Phnom Penh Municipal Court in December last year to attend a court hearing.
KPPM members enter the Phnom Penh Municipal Court in December last year to attend a court hearing. Hong Menea

‘Terrorists’ pardoned

Three members of the dissident Khmer People Power Movement (KPPM) serving sentences at Banteay Meanchey Provincial Prison have been pardoned, just days ahead of the scheduled return of the group’s self-exiled leader.

The pardon for Serey Bunlong, 29; Seng Sokmeng, 31; and Um Phirun, 27, which was seen yesterday, came last week at the request of Prime Minister Hun Sen and was signed by acting head of state Say Chhum on Thursday.

All three were released the following day after spending more than two years behind bars.

The men had been arrested shortly before the July 2013 national election after handing out watches, radios, DVDs and T-shirts bearing the logo of the Khmer People Power Movement, which Hun Sen had dubbed a “terrorist” group and accused of training armed anti-government forces in Thailand.

They were convicted in January of conspiracy and obstructing electoral procedures and were handed sentences ranging from five to six years.

The trio’s release followed the official pardoning in July of the group’s leader, Sourn Serey Ratha, who had been convicted in absentia alongside them.

Serey Ratha, who has now officially created a political party, the Khmer Power Party (KPP), previously said his return to Cambodia hinged on the three men being freed.

KPP spokesman Tep Virak said last week’s quiet releases were part of “political negotiations” between the new party and the government.

“The government released our members secretly without letting us know. [But] this is part of the demands of the KPP president [Serey Ratha] before he returns to his homeland to run his new party,” he said.

Serey Ratha could not be reached for comment yesterday, but told the Post by email earlier this month that his plans had “not changed” and he would be returning to the Kingdom on the morning of October 1.

Speaking from his hometown in Battambang province yesterday, Sokmeng celebrated his new-found freedom but said he should never have been arrested in the first place.

“I am happy to be freed, but I’m disappointed that I was imprisoned when I didn’t do anything wrong. I only distributed gifts to people and I got arrested,” he said. “The trial was unjust for us.”

Sokmeng said that he was working in Thailand when he first met Serey Ratha, who offered him work distributing the “gifts”.

“I thought it’s not wrong to give gifts to people. I chose Takeo and Banteay Meanchey provinces to give gifts to whoever wanted them, and I got some money for my work,” he said.

He said he didn’t hold Serey Ratha responsible for his imprisonment and planned to come to Phnom Penh for the leader’s homecoming.

“I spent two years and two months in prison, and Sourn Serey Ratha and the KPPM always cared about my family. He never left us behind,” he said.

Political analyst Ou Virak yesterday said the men “should never have been convicted in the first place”.

But rather than an act of benevolence, their release was likely part of wider plans by Hun Sen’s Cambodian People’s Party to take support away from the opposition Cambodia National Rescue Party ahead of the 2018 national election, he said.

Virak warned that the strategy could backfire if the opposition parties formed a coalition, which could give the CNRP “the boost they need”.

Officials at the Ministry of Justice could not be reached yesterday.
.

MOST VIEWED

  • Kingdom's Covid cluster cases jump to 194

    The Ministry of Health on February 25 confirmed 65 new cases of Covid-19, with 58 linked to the February 20 community transmission. The latest cluster cases include nine Vietnamese nationals, five Cambodians, one each from Korea, Singapore and Japan, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total number

  • Locations shut, dozens more Covid-19 positive

    The Ministry of Health has closed 23 locations in connection with the February 20 community transmission of Covid-19 and summoned for testing anyone who had direct contact with affected people and places. The number of discovered related infections has risen to 76, including 39 women. In a press release,

  • Cambodia's Covid cluster cases rise to 137

    The Ministry of Health on February 24 recorded 40 more cases of Covid-19, with 38 linked to the February 20 community transmission. Of the 40, two are imported cases involving Chinese passengers. The 38 include two Vietnamese nationals and one Cambodian, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total cases

  • Covid cluster raises alarm, health bodies urge vigilance

    The Ministry of Health and the World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia have expressed great concern over the February 20 cluster transmission of Covid-19 in the community. Both entities appealed for vigilance and cooperation in curbing further spread of the virus. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine said

  • PM confirms third Covid-19 community transmission

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on February 20 announced the Kingdom's third outbreak of Covid-19 community transmission after 32 people tested positive in just over 10 hours. Addressing the public from his residence after an emergency meeting, Hun Sen said: "I dub it February 20 Community Event, in which 32 cases

  • Cambodia's cluster cases jump to 259

    The Ministry of Health on February 27 recorded 26 more cases of Covid-19 linked to the February 20 community transmission, bringing the total to 259 in one week. The 26 include three Vietnamese nationals and one Cambodian, with the rest being Chinese. The ministry noted that five of the Chinese