Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Thai court throws out case of trafficked men



Thai court throws out case of trafficked men

Migrant workers sort fish on a Thai fishing boat. An appeal of the case filed by Cambodian workers alleging they suffered abuse from their Thai employers was denied this week.
Migrant workers sort fish on a Thai fishing boat. An appeal of the case filed by Cambodian workers alleging they suffered abuse from their Thai employers was denied this week. Nicolas Asfouri/AFP

Thai court throws out case of trafficked men

An appeal by 11 Cambodian fishermen allegedly trafficked and enslaved on fishing boats in Thailand before their rescue last year was dismissed Thursday by a Thai court.

A previous decision this year found that the 11 Cambodian plaintiffs could not prove they had been forced into work and held against their will.

The Appeal Court Region 8’s decision to reject the appeal was issued at the end of October but read to the public last Thursday, according to Nishkhan Usayapant, case manager of Human Rights and Development Foundation’s Anti-Trafficking Project.

“The circumstances presented were not enough to establish that the workers were threatened or forced to work on boats against their will,” the court argued, according to Usayapant. “The victims testified that the captain angrily splashed water at them while on the boat. The captain also knocked the boat with an axe, an act the victims feel threatened by.”

She said these two bits of testimony were part of the appeal as they had not been considered by the court of first instance. The appeal court ruled, however, that it was a “warning” or “disciplinary punishment” and not proof of intimidation, she said.

A case against boat owner Kamneungnuan Wongkajornkitti remains in the evidence gathering stage, Usayapant said. “The relevant government agencies are in discussion on how to collect witness testimony from the victims who have returned to Cambodia.”

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Kingdom accepts Chinese vaccine, PM first to get jab

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said China would offer Cambodia an immediate donation of one million doses of the Covid-19 vaccine produced by the Sinopharm company. In an audio message addressing the public on the night of January 15, he said Cambodia has accepted the offer and

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • PM asks India for vaccine help

    Prime Minister Hun Sen is seeking assistance from India for the provision of Covid-19 vaccines as the country has produced its own vaccine which is scheduled to be rolled out to more than 300 million Indians this year. The request was made during his meeting with

  • One million Chinese Covid-19 jabs to start rolling in from February

    The government has confirmed that Covid-19 vaccines from China are set to begin arriving in Cambodia by February. This came as the Ministry of Health recorded two imported cases of Covid-19 on January 18. While calling on people to remain vigilant against the pandemic, ministry spokeswoman