Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Thai firm gets nod for Royal spruce-up

Thai firm gets nod for Royal spruce-up

Thai firm gets nod for Royal spruce-up

I n a move that will bolster the Thai private sector's

confidence in investing in Cambodia but leaves a French company out in the cold,

the Ministry of Tourism signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with

Bangkok-based Eastern Dragon Group for the renovation and management of Phnom

Penh's historic Royal Hotel.

The MOU, signed on Feb. 16, commits Eastern

Dragon (EDG) to an estimated U.S. $30 million overhaul of the once grand, now

dilapidated Royal Hotel, which was constructed in the 1930s and served for

decades as the grand dame of Cambodian hotels.

EDG Chairman Eric Lai told

the Post he expects a final contract will be signed "within several weeks,"

which once finalized will give the developer a 30 year lease on the Royal with

an option to renew for another 30 years.

Negotiations between the

Ministry and EDG have been underway since late last year. According to Lai, EDG

came in late to the bidding process but was encouraged to get involved by

Ministry officials.

"There were certain hiccups in the process," said Lai

"but we were very encouraged with the opportunity."

Lai admitted that

there were certain risks with the current investment climate in Cambodia. "In

the coming few months [the investment climate] is a bit shaky, but over the

medium term I feel very confident," he said.

Phase I of the Royal rehab

will entail a complete overhaul of the existing 52 rooms as well as the addition

of two small wings with a ballroom on the sides of the existing facility, which

architects say is still structurally sound. EDG expects work to begin this

October with a soft opening slated for July 1995.

Phase II of the plan

would add two more wings with an additional 160 rooms in the back of the hotel

and a new swimming pool.

An earlier contract for the rehab of the Royal

was signed with the French company FEAL last year before the formation of a new

government. The contract was subsequently scrapped by incoming Ministry of

Tourism officials from the FUNCINPEC party.

MOST VIEWED

  • Angkor Wat named as the top landmark for the second year

    Travel website TripAdvisor has named Cambodia’s ancient wonder Angkor Wat as the top landmark in the world for the second year running in their Travelers’ Choice Award 2018, an achievement Cambodian tourism operators expect will attract more tourists to the Kingdom. The website uses traveller

  • New US bill ‘is a violation of Cambodian independence’

    After a US congressmen introduced bipartisan legislation that will enact sanctions on Cambodian officials responsible for “undermining democracy” in the Kingdom, government officials and the ruling Cambodian People’s Party on Sunday said they regarded the potential action as the “violation of independence and sovereignty

  • Hun Sen detractors ‘will die’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday said those who curse or insult him would eventually die without a plot of land to bury their bodies after being killed by lightning, suffering the same fate as those who recently died in Thmar Baing district in Koh

  • Ministry’s plan for net sparks fears

    The government has ordered all domestic and international internet traffic in the Kingdom to pass through a Data Management Centre (DMC) that has been newly created by the state-owned Telecom Cambodia, in a move some have claimed is an attempt to censor government critics. Spokesman