Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Thais defend record on fishing vessel abuses



Thais defend record on fishing vessel abuses

Migrant workers unload fish from a docked boat at a port in Mahachai, on the outskirts of Bangkok last year. AFP
Migrant workers unload fish from a docked boat at a port in Mahachai, on the outskirts of Bangkok last year. AFP

Thais defend record on fishing vessel abuses

A month after the Cambodian Human Rights Committee sent a request to its Thai counterpart asking it to implement safety measures to protect Cambodians working in often slave-like conditions on Thai boats, the committee yesterday received a response claiming Thai authorities had long ago taken sufficient action.

In its letter, the National Human Rights Commission of Thailand defended the Thai government’s work, pointing to the ongoing registration of undocumented migrant workers, the establishment of a council dealing with human trafficking and a list of recommendations made to the Thai government last year.

However, the ongoing rampant abuses on Thai boats contradicted the body’s claims, said Dy Thehoya, program officer with labour rights group Central. “I think the Thai government just wanted to shore up its good image with the international community, that it really takes serious measures against perpetrators of fishing boat slavery,” he said. “In fact, it’s just in writing – no clear mechanism and strong commitment.”

Keo Remy, president of the Cambodian Human Rights Committee, didn’t respond to requests for comment.

Phil Robertson, deputy Asia director of Human Rights Watch, said the Thai human rights commission has “been really a bit player in the larger policy discussions about abuses of Cambodian fishers Thai boats, which is unfortunate”.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year