Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Thais plan to request mental assessment of man who laid mines

Thais plan to request mental assessment of man who laid mines

Thais plan to request mental assessment of man who laid mines

THAI authorities plan to seek permission to conduct a mental health assessment of a Thai national convicted of planting land mines along the Cambodia-Thailand border, an official said Tuesday.

Suphap Vong Pakna was sentenced earlier this month to 20 years in prison after he confessed to planting land mines along a contested border area before he was arrested in Oddar Meanchey province last February. But both his court-appointed Cambodian lawyer and Thai officials have suggested the man suffers from mental health problems.

Thani Thongphakdi, deputy spokesman for the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs, confirmed Tuesday that his government plans to request that Thai medical personnel conduct an assessment of Suphap.

“He has had a prior history” of mental health issues, said Thani. “I don’t want to prejudge his current status. This depends on the approval of the Cambodian government. We would like to seek approval as soon as possible.”

Thai media have suggested the Thai government believes it could ask for a reduction in Suphap’s sentence if he is judged to have mental health issues. Thani declined to speculate on that point Tuesday.

“I think we’ll cross the bridge when we get there,” he said.

Suphap’s lawyer, Sam Sokong, said he would support having his client undergo a mental health assessment.

“I think it is a good idea that Thailand will send their psychologist to examine my client,” he said.

“Until now, there has been no clarification about this mental health problem.”

Sam Sokong said he plans to meet with Suphap on Friday to discuss “his health condition” and any possible appeal.

Foreign Affairs spokesman Koy Kuong said Tuesday the government had yet to receive an official request to examine Suphap.

“We will see the reality, because right now, no request, no answer,” Koy Kuong said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Rainsy stopped in Paris from boarding Thai flight

    Airline officials at Paris’ Charles de Gaulle airport on Thursday prevented Sam Rainsy from boarding his flight to Bangkok ahead of his announced return to Cambodia on Saturday. Prime Minister Hun Sen had earlier in the day assured Phnom Penh residents that there would be

  • Analyst: Rainsy blocked from boarding flight 'an excuse'

    THAI Airways not allowing Sam Rainsy on its route from Paris to Bangkok on Thursday is being used as an excuse to keep his standing among fellow coup plotters and his uninformed supporters as flights to non-Asean countries are available, an analyst said on Friday.

  • Rainsy lands in Malaysia

    Cambodian opposition figure Sam Rainsy arrived in Kuala Lumpur airport on Saturday afternoon after boarding a flight from Paris, where he has been living for more than four years. Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation spokesperson Koy Kuong said on Saturday that Cambodia respected

  • Touch: Rainsy will never return

    Sam Rainsy, the “acting president” of the Supreme Court-dissolved Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP), has claimed it has achieved 70 per cent of its struggle to find a solution to the current political situation in the Kingdom. Just before boarding a plane at Charles de Gaulle

  • Sokha continues call for dropping of charge after bail conditions reduced

    Not satisfied with having his bail conditions reduced, allowing him to travel freely in Cambodia, Kem Sokha says he wants his charge totally dropped. “As an innocent man who has been in detention for two years even without being found guilty, I continue to demand

  • MEPs' call for Rainsy's safety not European Parliament position

    The European Parliament said on Friday that a statement by 56 Members of the European Parliament (MEPs) calling for guarantees of Sam Rainsy’s freedom and safety should he return to Cambodia did not represent its position. Delphine Colard, the European Parliament’s press officer told