Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Thais 'will comply' with UN Court



Thais 'will comply' with UN Court

Thais 'will comply' with UN Court

Thailand will comply with a United Nations court that is set to issue a ruling on whether it must remove soldiers from territory at the contentious border near Preah Vihear temple, a spokesman said yesterday, in an apparent reversal of a previous position.

Thai Defence Minister Prawit Wongsuwon reportedly said this weekend that Thailand would disregard any ruling from the International Court of Justice requiring a troop withdrawal as requested by Cambodia, appearing to foreshadow another stalemate in the border standoff.

Thani Thongphakdi, spokesman for the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs, said yesterday, however, that Prawit was “quoted out of context” and Thailand would comply with the ICJ.

“All along, we have always said that we would respect the decision of the Court of International Justice,” he said.

Koy Kuong, spokesman for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, declined to comment in detail yesterday. “It’s up to them, you know.... We don’t care what they said,” he said.

Cambodia petitioned the ICJ on April 28 to order Thailand to remove troops from a patch of territory adjacent to the Preah Vihear temple claimed by both sides, and also asked the court to render an “interpretation” as to how its 1962 decision that granted sovereignty over Preah Vihear to Cambodia affects the unmarked border.

The court heard arguments in The Hague at the end of last month, and may issue a decision within weeks on the first question. Whether and to what extent the 1962 ruling affects the border is a query expected to take the court much longer to decide.

Meanwhile, Thailand has rejected Cambodian allegations that Thai fighter jets violated Cambodian airspace in a letter sent to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

“In essence, we had reiterated that the Thai military had not violated Cambodian airspace and that the allegations made were groundless, particularly the allegations that [were] trying to portray this [as] preparation of future offences,” Thani said.

Koy Kuong said Cambodia had “clear evidence” to support their claims.

“Normally, a robber never, never confesses his mistakes [or] his guilt,” he added.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting