Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Thief faces murder charges

Thief faces murder charges

Thief faces murder charges

PHNOM Penh Municipal Court yesterday tried a man on charges of attempted murder and possessing an illegal weapon, in relation to the theft of a motorbike last year for which he has already been convicted on robbery charges.

Kheng Pov, 21, was arrested in October last year in Kandal province’s Ksach Kandal district in connection with the robbery of a motorbike taxi driver in Phnom Penh’s Tuol Kork district in September.

Police said a separate driver was wounded after the suspect allegedly shot him several times in the leg when he came to the victim’s defence. Kheng Pov was found guilty of robbery and sentenced to seven years in prison earlier this year.

Presiding judge Ker Sakhorn said during the hearing yesterday that the case was reopened so the suspect could face attempted murder and illegal weapon charges.

But Kheng Pov called the decision to try him twice an “injustice” and denied that he ever opened fire on the victim, claiming his accomplice, known as Chek, fired the handgun at the ground, which ricocheted and struck the victim in the leg.Chek has so far eluded police.

A verdict will be announced on November 29.

MOST VIEWED

  • Breaking: US House passes 'Cambodia Democracy Act'

    The US House of Representatives in Washington, DC, on Monday, passed the “HR 526 Cambodia Democracy Act”, also known as the Cambodia Democracy Act of 2019. If signed off by the president, the bill will allow two major sets of action to be taken against high-ranking Cambodian

  • ‘Zero-dollar’ tours under fire

    Minister of Tourism Thong Khon has blamed “zero-dollar” tour operators for the decrease in foreign tourists to Angkor Archaeological Park in the first half of this year and has called for action against them. Angkor Archaeological Park received 1.24 million foreign visitors in the first half

  • Breaking: Rubbish found packed inside 83 containers at S'ville port

    Eighty-three containers packed with rubbish were broken open at Sihanoukville Autonomous Port by joint authorities on Tuesday. The origin of the containers has yet to be ascertained, Ministry of Environment spokesman Neth Pheaktra said. Pheaktra, who is also the ministry’s secretary of state, said

  • Some jobs off limits to foreigners from August

    Beginning from the second week of August, foreigners will be banned from driving taxis and tuk-tuks, as well as being motorcycle delivery drivers, street food vendors, hairdressers and product distributors among other lower-income jobs. Some white-collar jobs such as the head of human resources will