Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Third charged with genocide




Third charged with genocide

Third charged with genocide

091221_04
Khieu Samphan appears in court during his pretrial hearing in Phnom Penh.

Charges coincide with request for 18 percent budget increase

FORMER Khmer Rouge head of state Khieu Samphan has been charged with genocide, a spokesman for Cambodia’s UN-backed war crimes court said Friday, the same day the court announced that it had asked donor countries for an 18 percent budget increase for 2010.

Lars Olsen said Khieu Samphan had been notified of the charge in a meeting with investigating judges Friday morning.

The tribunal said last Wednesday that Khmer Rouge Brother No 2 Nuon Chea and foreign minister Ieng Sary had been charged with genocide, marking the first time the charge had been brought against regime leaders by an internationally sanctioned court.

As with Nuon Chea and Ieng Sary, the genocide charge against Khieu Samphan stems from the regime’s treatment of Vietnamese and the Cham Muslim minority group, Olsen said.

All three men, who had previously been charged with war crimes and crimes against humanity, were also informed last week that they are now facing charges of homicide, torture and religious persecution under the 1956 Cambodian penal code, which was in effect during the regime.

Prosecutors in September requested that judges clarify the charges against the five regime leaders being held at the tribunal, including Tuol Sleng prison chief Kaing Guek Eav, alias Duch, whose trial ended in November and is awaiting verdict. Olsen said Sunday that a meeting with former minister of social action Ieng Thirith would take place today.

Budget request
Acting Director of Administration Tony Kranh and Deputy Director of Administration Knut Rosandhaug presented the budget request in New York last week during meetings with the steering committee of the UN Assistance to the Khmer Rouge Trials and donor countries, according to a press release issued Friday.

The court had requested US$39 million in funding for 2009, a figure that included contingency funding, which has not been utilised, Olsen said. The proposed budgets for 2010 and 2011 are $46 million and $47.3 million, respectively, figures that also include contingency funding.

The request for an increase reflects, in part, the possible cost of “legal representation related to potential additional cases”, according to the press release. The prosecution filed introductory submissions for five additional suspects in September.

But the increase “can mainly be attributed to” the fact that the Pre-Trial Chamber will be operating full-time next year, and that the Supreme Court Chamber may do the same beginning in mid-2010, according to the release.

Court spokesman Reach Sambath said he did not know when a decision on the budget would be made, but that the court is “optimistic that we will be able to get sufficient funding for the next two years as requested”.

MOST VIEWED

  • Hungarian exposes 90 to Covid in Siem Reap

    The Ministry of Health has discovered 90 people who have been exposed directly or indirectly to a Hungarian man infected with Covid-19. They all are required to quarantine at home and the hospital. The ministry is searching for other affected people. Among the 90, one is the

  • PM: West unfair to Cambodia

    Prime Minister Hun Sen released a message celebrating the International Day of Peace on Monday, saying that some major powers and western countries had been systemically cooperating to put political pressure on Cambodia as they did in the 1970s and 1980s. Hun Sen said pressuring

  • ‘Bad news is an investor’s best friend’ – unlocking investment potential in Cambodia

    It is time to shop. Economic woes provide good pickings for investors if they know where to look The poem If, written by English Nobel laureate poet and novelist Rudyard Kipling for his son circa 1895, is widely perceived as fatherly advice for John who would

  • PM requests Russia’s Covid vaccine

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has requested that Russia provide Cambodia with its Covid-19 vaccine after the former announced it planned on mass vaccinating its population next month. The request came on Thursday through the prime minister’s Facebook page as he met with Anatoly Borovik,

  • First ‘mobile kitchen’ in Cambodia enters service

    A catering company recently rolled out Cambodia’s first “mobile kitchen” – a $50,000 container capable of serving up to 200 people at a time. The kitchen is the brainchild of Seng Hok Heng Catering Services. At 4.4m-high, 6.8m-long and 2.4m-wide (expandable to 6.8m), the kitchen is equipped

  • Kingdom, China rebut basis for US sanctions

    The Council for the Development of Cambodia, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation, and Tianjin Union Investment Development Group Co Ltd (Tianjin) have responded to US sanctions on Union Development Group Co Ltd (UDG), a Chinese-owned company currently developing the sprawling $3.8 billion Dara