Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Thousands continue their strike



Thousands continue their strike

Thousands continue their strike

Nearly 4,000 workers in Svay Rieng province continued protesting yesterday amid a separate stay-at-home strike.

Workers from three factories in the country’s southeast corner held public protests outside their factories in the province’s Tai Seng Special Economic Zone beginning Saturday, said Pav Sina, president of the Collective Union of Movement of Workers (CUMW).

The striking workers are demanding $50 – the amount of the no-strike bonus all three factories agreed to pay but have withheld in the wake of a nationwide strike that ended in early January, CUMW officer Sok Na said yesterday. They are also calling on factories to rehire 43 workers they say have been fired since the strike earlier this year.

“The factories broke their promise, which caused the workers to get angry and protest,” Na said, adding that workers would continue demonstrating tomorrow.

Employees taking part in the action, which is not related to the stay-at-home strike, represent workers from the Best Way, Smart Tech and You Li factories, Na said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Courts’ decisions now published as reference source

    The Ministry of Justice has published 44 verdicts from civil litigation cases which can be used as models for court precedents and for study by the public and those who work in pertinent fields. Publication of the verdicts on December 31 came as the result of joint

  • Quarantine site in north Phnom Penh inaugurated

    A four-building quarantine centre in Phnom Penh’s Prek Pnov district was formally inaugurated on January 6. The centre can house up to 500 people, according to Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng. At the inauguration ceremony, Sreng said the municipal hall had cooperated with the Ministry

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • China firm to develop Mondulkiri airport

    Tourism to the Kingdom’s northeast corridor could experience a remarkable metamorphosis after the government decided in principle of a Chinese company to study and develop a proposal to build a regional-level airport in Mondulkiri province, according to industry insiders. The Council of Ministers said