Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Three bus companies earn ministry warning

Three bus companies earn ministry warning

A person arrives at a Virak Buntham office in central Phnom Penh yesterday afternoon.
A person arrives at a Virak Buntham office in central Phnom Penh yesterday afternoon. Hong Menea

Three bus companies earn ministry warning

The Ministry of Public Works and Transportation has issued warning letters to three transportation companies it has deemed irresponsible, ministry officials confirmed yesterday.

Minister Sun Chanthol used a Thursday meeting on the implementation of traffic laws to reprimand bus companies Virak Buntham, Rith Mony and 15SH for negligence and breaking traffic laws.

But Va Sim Soriya, the ministry spokesman, confirmed no immediate action would be taken to penalise the companies.

“The letter was only a warning. If we see a bus driver who is careless, we will stop the driver and revoke the driver’s licence,” Soriya said. “But as for a company shutdown, I cannot tell you anything.”

Road Safety Institute head Ear Chariya welcomed the action, saying it’s time for the ministry to get serious about cracking down on bus companies that violate the law. “In the past the ministry only issued an announcement and some companies didn’t pay attention,” he said.

In response, Nov Keavirak, director of Virak Buntham’s Phnom Penh branch, insisted his company teaches its drivers about the need to obey traffic laws. “Regarding the advice of the ministry, we teach our drivers to be highly cautious,” Keavirak said. “In fact, we have four meetings per month.”

During Thursday’s meeting, Chanthol also asked transportation companies to consider lowering their fees alongside the falling price of petrol to make it easier for poor Cambodians to travel.

MOST VIEWED

  • PM imposes nationwide Covid restrictions, curfew over Delta scare

    Prime Minister Hun Sen late on July 28 instructed the municipal and provincial authorities nationwide to strictly enforce Covid-19 measures including curfew for two weeks from July 29 midnight through August 12 to stem the new coronavirus Delta variant. The instruction came shortly after he issued a directive

  • Two luxury hotels latest quarantine options for inbound travellers

    The Inter-Ministerial Committee to Combat Covid-19 has designated two luxury hotels as alternative quarantine options for travellers who wish to enter Cambodia through Phnom Penh International Airport – Sokha Phnom Penh Hotel & Residence and the Courtyard by Marriott Phnom Penh. In a notice detailing guidelines issued

  • Provinces on Thai borders put in lockdown amid Delta fears

    The government has decided to place several border provinces in lockdown for two weeks in a bid to prevent the new coronavirus Delta variant spreading further into community. According a directive signed by Prime Minister Hun Sen late on July 28, the provinces include Koh Kong,

  • China denies Mekong hacking

    As the US and its allies joined hands last week to expose what they allege to be China’s Ministry of State Security’s malicious cyber activities around the world, the attention also turned to Cambodia with the US Department of Justice claiming that four

  • US' Johnson & Johnson Covid-19 vaccines arrive

    The first batch of 455,000 doses of the Johnson & Johnson Covid-19 vaccine donated by the US touched down in Phnom Penh on the morning of July 30. They are part of the total 1,060,100 doses the US has pledged to provide to Cambodia through the World Health Organisation-led (

  • Governor: Covid subsides in capital

    Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng said the Covid-19 situation in the capital’s 14 districts has eased, with only two districts still recording a high number of infections. “Transmission cases in all districts are dropping, though they are relatively higher Meanchey and Por Sen Chey.